Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lurker
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be swapping out my flywheel with a Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel. My question is.. should I have the clutch replaced while I'm at it? My current clutch has been in for 1.5 years and I think I've put about 20k miles on it.

Will it make sense to just swap out the flywheel and run a "regular" clutch? Or should I purchase a performance clutch (brand/type for ~$400?). It will primarily be used as a street/daily driver. I'm a little hesitant, because I don't want to dish out the money unless it's really worth it.

I'm not really sure about my HP goals, but my mods are:

-recently rebuilt motor, titan mhg
-upgraded 60-1 ct-26, lex afm, 550cc injectors, intake
-hardpipes + hks bov
-fmic + safc tuned (installed by end of next month)
-3" catback + BIC elbow + RT downpipe + testpipe
-lightweight flywheel (going in soon.. clutch?)

After I get the flywheel in and have my IC installed with SAFC tuned.. I don't think I'm going to do anything more (hope not!). Do you guys think I should just stick with the clutch I have right now.. or should I push for the clutch since the flywheel is being changed? Thanks!

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
Id change the clutch with it dont get like a uber leet drag clutch, But like a nice street strip type with a good tq rating and youll be fine! Youll prolly put a lil more of that power down with a new clutch.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Why are you replacing the flywheel in the first place?

If you replace it, you will have to get the pressure plate resurfaced so that you have a true and flat surface to mate to the flywheel. If you are in there, you may as well do it all and do it right. Replace the rear main, flywheel, and clutch. I'd try and get a better idea of your power goals before you do this though.

·
Lurker
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
mk34o8 said:
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure how much HP/TQ I'm putting down but I think my goal will be under 400. I'm browsing through Ebay.. are these recommended or are they junk?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-R...071992417QQcategoryZ33730QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-9...072763932QQcategoryZ33730QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm looking to spend no more than ~$400.

under 400 Horsepower Rating: 420 HP at the crank / Torque Capacity: 398 ft/lbs thats the rating so it should work

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,950 Posts
Trent said:
Why are you replacing the flywheel in the first place?

If you replace it, you will have to get the pressure plate resurfaced so that you have a true and flat surface to mate to the flywheel. If you are in there, you may as well do it all and do it right. Replace the rear main, flywheel, and clutch. I'd try and get a better idea of your power goals before you do this though.

Don't go in there and cheap out. Hell I had to recut a crank after a few monts of driving because my oil filter was too low and scraped the raised side walk. I took it all apart and redid the crank and since the tranny was out I got new pucks put on my 4 puck diak and redid the pressure plate so it will be a long time b4 I need it done. Never ever take it apart and go cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts