Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, all there any guides or pictures on removing and refitting the front screen? Something id like to learn to do myself when repainting my Supra. Thanks

·
From the land down under
4,256 Posts
Subscribed.

I have bought a new windscreen weather strip to fit when I get a full body respray at some point in the future, but I have seen some other fitment parts that can be bought too, so I am interested to see the "proper" way to do the job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is your current weather strip in poor condition or good? If it's good, the body shop can use some special tape that they showed me that peels back the Supra soft weather stripping so the paint can get all the way in for a clean line. My body shop tells me that pulling the front windshield destroys it every time because it's safety glass. I bought the tools and practiced removing one and almost got it off without damage but then the last 5" were stuck and I lost patience and tugged too hard and broke it (on a 5th gen Camaro). They can remove fixed side windows without damaging them but not the windshield. Kind of sucks because I have a 93 RHD that I'm going to respray but the windshield weather stripping is pretty worn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am in a very similar situation. Unfortunately I can tell there is a leak in mine and at highway speeds I can hear the wind coming in through the windshield, and every shop I have taken it to said they'd have to take the windshield out aka break it. It's unfortunate since I wanted to keep mine with all the original Japanese stickers on it but better be safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just checked Safelite and online quote in Dallas area was $369 installed. OEM windshield through one of the big online sellers was $541 plus shipping.

·
From the land down under
4,256 Posts
I didnt realise that they often break when removed :(

That throws a spanner in my plans as I have all new body mouldings and trims tucked away in the closet for the day when I do a full body respray, and obviously, having to leave the 24 year old, faded windscreen trim in would be a huge shame.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The windshield seal can be replaced, without removing the windshield I just had mine done at the body shop.

·
From the land down under
4,256 Posts
The windshield seal can be replaced, without removing the windshield I just had mine done at the body shop.
Oh really? Thats a great relief to hear that, as I had always presumed that they woubd seat slightly under the glass.

Did your body shop man say there was any tricks involved?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi all, all there any guides or pictures on removing and refitting the front screen? Something id like to learn to do myself when repainting my Supra. Thanks
It’s a lot harder to do without the proper tools which almost aren’t worth buying if you do windshield Rarely like me. I used a windshield seal cutter from a tool store like harbor freight to get the windshield out which it was really easy plus it was a hot day. Then when I was ready to install I cleaned up the mounting area and used window weld and a caulking gun and put a 1/4 wide and tall bead around the lip on the windshield then had a buddy help me install it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts