Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought a bunch of new oem stuff for my car, and one of the items was the moldings for the front and rear windows...
Im pretty sure the windows have to be removed to put in the new moldings..

Im just looking for people who have done this to let me know how they did it..

I prob wont be doing this myself..i am thinkin i will have to find a window repair shop and have them pop the windows out, put the new moldings in and put the windows back...
soo anyone have any experience or can tell me how much i should pay for something like this so i dont get ripped off...and also how long should this job take??

thanks
Ant

·
stop playin wit mah name
1,931 Posts
By window moldings, I'm guessing the belt moldings? You can do that yourself, but the quarter glass needs to be taken out because it's not separate from the molding. I think you will need to have the shop do that because it involves removing the interior panels. It should cost about $120-$160.

To replace the belt molding, you'll need to remove the door panel, remove the connector for the speakers, and the belt molding is mounted with a few bolts. Real easy job if you're looking to save a few bucks.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
it should cost around $50 per glass,and about 30 minutes a piece,quarter glass will take a good while,you will have to remove just about every piece of trim in the back of the car including rear seats,pre 97s have 3 nuts per quarter glass,97-up were just glued in, I've done a bunch of them,windshields,back glass,door glass and quarter glass, if you don't have the right tools,don't even try to attempt to do it yourself

Stefan

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not doing the window moldings on the sides of the car......

They are fine...im talking about the front and back windows

·
MKIV owner since 1998
1,523 Posts
it should cost around $50 per glass,and about 30 minutes a piece,quarter glass will take a good while,you will have to remove just about every piece of trim in the back of the car including rear seats,pre 97s have 3 nuts per quarter glass,97-up were just glued in, I've done a bunch of them,windshields,back glass,door glass and quarter glass, if you don't have the right tools,don't even try to attempt to do it yourself

Stefan
+1, pay a pro to do it if at all possible. The front windshield can stay in to install the new moulding, but the rear hatch glass has to come out to install it's moulding.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
if you don't want to deal with windshield molding coming off while you drive, you will have to pull out the glass,unless you want to ghetto glue that thing

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^ heeell noo..no ghetto rigging here...im trying to make my car as close to a brand new supra as i can before i continue adding power mods...

I dont cut corners or anything so I am def going to pay a professional to do this job so it is done right....i did think i was gonna have to bite the bullet and they were gonna charge me some crazy number like $200 per window or something crazy..

But the $50 per window seems reasonable...i just dont want my paint or car butchered up..

Also if anyone in jersey knows of a good glass person to deal with let me know..or else im gonna prob go with the first company i see..

thanks
Ant

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i finally talked to a glass company. I told them what kind of car it was and the guys knew right away. I told them its black and i dont want a butcher job with scratched paint and all, and they assured em they had the tools to do the job right. THis was a pretty big auto glass company int he area too....
they did tell me that the rear glass is very easy to do, and it wont be a problem. Then they told me that there is a 50/50 chance that the front glass could break when doing this job. DOes anyone know if this is true. Why would the back be easy but the front could break??

I know the front windshield of the supra isnt a cheap part and is hard to ship. so i really dont wanna have it break on me.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
rear glass is tempered,front is not,it's laminated, tempered will shatter in million pieces if you try to break it, front glass was designed to help prevent people from flying thru the windshield at the event of an accident

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
and yes, there is a chance of front glass cracking, but it shouldn't be 50/50 if a proffessional is doing it, more like 10/90, they just want to cover their ass in case it does brake

·
(Rare & Unique)
3,882 Posts
Stef, i agree with you on the front window scenario with guys covering their ass. Its its done right/experienced ppl, it should not be a big deal.
I was also told the same about the front window cracking more than the qarter panels

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks

i figured they told me this just to cover their asses...

I guess i will just cross my fingers and hope it doesnt crack when I have this done...

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
if it's a proffessional cutting it out with the right tools, it should not break,especially if he's using this bad boy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts