Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my fuel filter for my 97TT. I was wondering who has done this, and if they can guide me through the replacement. What I do know is that the fuel filter is located behind the drivers side front wheel.
Can anyone tell what is the best way to replace it? Like tools needed, time it takes, what to do with open fuel line? and so forth. I will greatly appreciate it! TIA

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
1/4mile in style said:
I need to replace my fuel filter for my 97TT. I was wondering who has done this, and if they can guide me through the replacement. What I do know is that the fuel filter is located behind the drivers side front wheel.
Can anyone tell what is the best way to replace it? Like tools needed, time it takes, what to do with open fuel line? and so forth. I will greatly appreciate it! TIA
This is a big PITA, gas goes everywhere, a flare nut wrench would be a good idea. I think there might be a way to unpressurize the fuel system that will make it a little less messy, but I'm not sure.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think that i will just leave it up to the pros. thanks ryan...

·
776 Posts
I have changed fuel filters for other cars and the way to unpressurize it is to disconnect the negative battery terminal and take off your gas cap. It shouldn't be too hard. It all depends on if it is a easy reach or not.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i hear that it is wise to change it at least every 30k miles and more often depending on driving habits. i changed one at approx 30k and now i have 60k and i am going to do it again. i was just trying to find out if it was easy enuff to do it myself but i guess i will just schedule the time to get it done by da pros.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with RSA, get ready to smell like gasoline for a few days. My one tip would be to buy the factory Toyota fuel filter (i.e. call Jay Marks, etc). Most replacement fuel filters don't come with a protective "cage" like the OEM filter, and so they just "hang" there under your car. The OEM filter just makes me feel safer that the lowest part of my car isn't full of pressurized gasoline! Just my 2 cents.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
I haven't had to do it on my supra yet, but generally you remove the pressure from fuel lines by 1) removing tank cap to release pressure in tank, and 2) by pulling a fuse or electrical connection to the fuel pump and cranking the engine a few times.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I replaced my fuel filter not too long ago. It 's not really that big of a deal. Lift up the carpeting in your hatch and unplug the electrical connector that controls your fuel pump. You can see it on the foam piece. Turn your car on and let it idle until it runs out of fuel. Then jack up the driver side and you can see the fuel filter. Take it off and replace with a new filter, it should come with new metal orings as well. Have a catch can ready because some fuel will drip out. Then reattach the connector in the trunk and you should be done.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Let the car idle til it runs out of gas!!!???

I replaced my fuel filter not too long ago. It 's not really that big of a deal. Lift up the carpeting in your hatch and unplug the electrical connector that controls your fuel pump. You can see it on the foam piece. Turn your car on and let it idle until it runs out of fuel. Then jack up the driver side and you can see the fuel filter. Take it off and replace with a new filter, it should come with new metal orings as well. Have a catch can ready because some fuel will drip out. Then reattach the connector in the trunk and you should be done.

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
Let the car idle til it runs out of gas!!!???
You must be pretty bored to believe it's worth replying to a 10 year old thread.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
haha no I'm just looking to get info about the location of my fuel filter on my 93.5 TT Supra when I came across that post. Research tells me on my ca its under the drivers seat up til 96 then they decided to put it in the rear hatch under the carpeting above the fuel tank. Am I right?

You must be pretty bored to believe it's worth replying to a 10 year old thread.

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
I know on my USDM 95TT the OEM fuel filter was under the car at about the driver's seat area or a bit forward of that but I don't know what the newer ones had.

I commend you for searching out questions that took you to the 10 yr old thread!

·
Registered
865 Posts
The way I removed fuel pressure before doing dhe fuel filter replacement, fuel dampner and fuel gauge sending unit install was:

Gain access to fuel pump (fold carpet, remove panel then remove spare tire and access cover in the trunk)

Start the car and lets it idle, unplug the fuel pump connector, the Supra will idle and die. Give it 5-10 more crank/start try.

The fuel filter on all Supra year and jdm usdm is located LH side under the feet of that side on the underbody limit with the firewall.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The way I removed fuel pressure before doing dhe fuel filter replacement, fuel dampner and fuel gauge sending unit install was:

Gain access to fuel pump (fold carpet, remove panel then remove spare tire and access cover in the trunk)

Start the car and lets it idle, unplug the fuel pump connector, the Supra will idle and die. Give it 5-10 more crank/start try.

The fuel filter on all Supra year and jdm usdm is located LH side under the feet of that side on the underbody limit with the firewall.
Wouldn't starving your motor fore fuel harm the motor at all?

·
Raising the BAR
3,324 Posts
Changed mine last week. Damn flare nut wrenches rounded of the banjo bolt and the flare nut. Had to use vice grips to get both of them off. Production date on the filter was 95' lol. I can't even beleive the car ran and now I can't even feel a difference when I'm driving.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts