Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is only a few threads which saying it will rip if you take it off, is that true?
I'm more interested in how to install it? Anyone done this, I'm guessing you cut/rip the current leather of then chuck the other leather on and glue it at the base under the panel?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BLACK-LEATHER-FITS-TOYOTA-SUPRA-MKIV-MK4-1993-2002-GEAR-HANDBRAKE-BOOT-SET-/351650270043?hash=item51dffd4b5b:g:0esAAOSwB4NWukpJ

found some aftermarket leather for both gearstick + handbreak for under 40 bucks that's cheap consider mine has holes in it looks fadded as shit and horribile. Any advice if it's easy to replace i don't care if i have to rip my current leather off it's aftermarket shit anyway thanks.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was able to slide my new leather handbrake boot over the OEM rubber-ish one. The shifter boot is a bit of a pain in the ass. You have to remove the shift knob and a couple dash panels. The panel with the boot has a ring attached to the bottom with plastic welds, for lack of a better term. I used a soldering iron to melt the heads off to release the ring that holds on the boot. Then installed the new boot and re-melted those plastic heads to secure the boot ring again. Some people use plastic zip ties as rods to add plastic to the "weld". It took me about 20-25 minutes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh yep! I appercaite that dude that gives me a heaps better understanding yeah i think i'm defintly going to go ahead and do it :) You're a legend

i am thinking of taking all my panels of to give my panels a light sand and plastic primer so i'm thinking might aswell replace the leather while i have it out :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good idea.
That's what I did.

[/URL][/IMG]
Wow man you've done it all! There's a good thread on here did you follow a thread on here? If so i most likely know the one you followed if not what did you use paint/coat wise cheers

·
Registered
362 Posts
Nope, I can barely read. I'm sure there are a bunch of threads on it but I just wanted something that would closely match the texture of the OEM panels. I picked up some plasti-dip and hit it with about 4 coats. Then a few coats of plasti-dip clear coat. It's a little darker than the OEM panels but with a black car and black interior, I like the way it turned out. I figured it was also a good time to send my dash cluster and HVAC unit out for the LED conversion. I have to wait till those pieces come back before actually re-installing the panels.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ahh alrighty man I was going to use plastdip but I think on here I read quiet a few people not liking plastidip which turned me of using it, I have to say your panels came out quiet nice, good job!

What colour leds are you going? My cluster has already been done blue and green but they look blue lol LEDs under the dash I would LOVEE to get my HVAC done mind me asking how much that's setting you back? I feel like I need more lights in my dash I it looks so dark at night still needs something else HVAC would be perfect

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ahh alrighty man I was going to use plastdip but I think on here I read quiet a few people not liking plastidip which turned me of using it, I have to say your panels came out quiet nice, good job!

What colour leds are you going? My cluster has already been done blue and green but they look blue lol LEDs under the dash I would LOVEE to get my HVAC done mind me asking how much that's setting you back? I feel like I need more lights in my dash I it looks so dark at night still needs something else HVAC would be perfect
Well... it's not cheap, but they look very cool. Plus an LED dash cluster adds more horsepower than vinyl stickers!
If you check out Stu Hagen's facebook page he has several examples on there along with pricing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just had all the panels refinished professionally with flat black paint. Looks way better than when I tried to plastidip them. Looking to replace the shifter leather now.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Curious to know how the plastidip will hold up over time. I hope forever, cause that's what I plan to use.
One of the nice things about plasti-dip is if you put it on nice and thick and you don't like it, it just peels right off. I sprayed some eyelids on the tops of my headlamps to cover some imperfections in the lenses. I decided against it and peeled them off in about 8 seconds.
Plasti-dip is awesome. Easy to use, inexpensive, very forgiving with mistakes, hold up pretty well and looks decent.
Plus it's the best chrome delete there is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts