Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 86.5 n/a supra and I need to replace my headlight / turn signal switch. So far I see that you have to take off the steering wheel and some light wiring work. How do you detatch the switch from steering wheel assembly.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The online TSRM is for the 'with airbag' model. I did my 87 and it's extremely similar only I remember not having to depin anything. The older ones have a plug just for the light control switch.

In the diagram below you're looking for the 'Spring', 'Ball', 'Ball Set Plate' at the base of the switch. Be careful with the ball, it's easy to lose.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=BE&P=18

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I dropped the ball a few times when I did mine. Make sure you lay out some towels or blanket that will catch the metal ball if dropped. That thing can bounce!

·
Registered
549 Posts
What are the compatibility issues with old style and new style? My old style just broke and now it doesn't fucking lock in each position.
airbag model won't work with non-airbag models.
Brother ordered one, recently, not compatible. has to do with the clock spring.
If you're interested...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I dropped the ball a few times when I did mine. Make sure you lay out some towels or blanket that will catch the metal ball if dropped. That thing can bounce!
Where does the ball go? I cant figure out how the ball set plate holds it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had to do this in my 91' with airbag, when I bought the car the headlight stalk was broken and hanging and the lights were stuck on bright and foglights wouldn't work. When I bought the car I had to get someone else to wiggle the stalk around to see if the foglights flickered at all when moving the stalk around. I replaced the entire assembly with one from fleabay. The trim under the steering wheel had to be removed to reach the factory harness under the dash.

From the looks of this thread there's a way to repair just the stalk, which is news to me. Mine was broken at the base of the stalk, but you could stick the stalk back in its hole and wiggle it around and get some functionality but it would just fall right back out and hang.

edit: From looking at the TSRM the ball and spring, etc were all there and functional, my housing(the Switch Body, next page TSRM) was broken and the Light Control Switch wouldn't stay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts