Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I worked for a few hours on my car today and have some questions. I read some where the turbo *doesn't* have to come off to pull the head, but I didn't know if this was true or not (according to the TSRM, the turbo has to come off to replace the HG/get to the head). Also, I was wondering if the intake manifold has to come off. Any hints or tips about this job would be great. Thanks!

Tanner

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
You don't have to but, it's a great opportunity to replace those gaskets, especially exhaust 15 years of hot & cold takes it's toll, and I think it's easier to take them off

·
DO WORK!!
2,275 Posts
I pull the complete head with intake and turbo all intact. I use an engine hoist to get it all off. you will have to remove some oil lines for the turbo to the block and anything that connects the head to the block, but you an do it either way. It takes me just over an hour to lift a head off.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the turbo nor the intake manifold have to come off? What about the exhaust manifold?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got to the head bolts but the damn cam shaft is in the way. Is there anyway to unbolt the head bolts with out taking off the cam? Thanks..

Tanner

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
i just yanked the whole motor out LOL.....its actually easier to me to pull the whole thing....less small parts to have to get to essentially....but if you do not have the resources, i understand. :)

good luck man,

Jonathan

·
92 TURBO
1,001 Posts
highrolla4life said:
I got to the head bolts but the damn cam shaft is in the way. Is there anyway to unbolt the head bolts with out taking off the cam? Thanks..

Tanner

I did mine without removing the cams. Turn the cam for clearance until the flat spot on the cam allows you to remove the head bolts.
BTW, I used the 10 mm service tool that's in the TSRM to remove my stock bolts.
~ mike

·
Registered
432 Posts
SupraMikeCT said:
I did mine without removing the cams. Turn the cam for clearance until the flat spot on the cam allows you to remove the head bolts.
BTW, I used the 10 mm service tool that's in the TSRM to remove my stock bolts.
~ mike
Mike nailed it. I just pulled my motor and tranny last night to rebuild a blown HG. But if the funds allow you replace all gaskets and really go over the whole thing before getting to carried away. If you plan on keeping it you may want to rebuild the whole thing. Atleast thats what I am doing.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Id rather pull the intake manifold and turbo off and then pull the head... sounds like a PITA to pull the head with them attached :dunno:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts