Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought my current MKIV in 2020 without a spare wheel/tire or associated tools. As mine is a driver, and my routes of choice are remote Ozark Mountain highways w/ poor cell service, I wanted the ability to self-rescue in the event of a flat. I found the jack and associated tools on FB marketplace and recently bought an original MKIV spare wheel w/ shredded tire. I replaced the tire w/ this one from Tirerack - Yokohama 145/70D17, $118.77 in Oct 2021. I currently run 265/35-18 front and 295/35-18 rear, and according to Tire Size Comparison, I'm in great shape.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Tread

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Hubcap

I want to share what I learned along the way. I originally hoped to get the spare wheel/tire for cheap from a salvage yard or eBay. After much time wasted and one ill-fitting Rav4 spare later, I went w/ my current setup - stock. I did not find much info in my searches so thought I'd put it here for future seekers.

OEM stuff:
Spare tire size is 145/70D17. From my research the OE tire was a Bridgestone.
Wheel is 17x4, 5-lug, 4.5" spacing.

OEM part numbers is where things got weird.
4261150090 appears to be the correct item (apparently still available new from Toyota). Parts.toyota.com lists the MKIV Supra and some early Rav4's for fitment.
My initial searching led me to this p/n: 4261106380. Strangely, as of my revisiting these links for this post, the info is different. The Supra was listed for this p/n in the not too distant past and no longer is.

My quest for a cheap, late model version was based on the salvage interchange info on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and eBay (thinking I could buy a $40 spare from a 2017 vehicle and not worry about the age of the tire). From a local salvage yard:
Sleeve Font Material property Pattern Rectangle

NOTE: I NO LONGER BELIEVE THIS INFO TO BE ACCURATE! I bought a spare off eBay from a late model Rav4 as listed above, and it did not fit - fouled on front TT calipers and tire was (knowingly) too large. I am confident there are other vehicles w/ compatible spares.

If I did it over again:
I would buy 4261150090 new from Toyota for ~$100 and the Tirerack spare. OR...
I would find local spares on the list above and take my Supra to test fit in real time.

I doubt many folks will be in a similar situation and share this to the hive mind for the future.

I am in search of a fuel tank/pump access cover in good condition and the right side foam if anyone has spares.

Thank you,
Erin

·
Registered
968 Posts
I went through a similar process to replace the spare when I installed big-brake-kit. The original would no longer fit ...

·
From the land down under
4,681 Posts
To be honest, most of us would be wise to replace out space saver tyres, given they will be about 25 years old, and probably not too save any longer.

I have never had a puncture in mine, so touch wood, that continues for ever 🤞

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
along with the jack, remember to keep tools to remove aftermarket wheels if you have them. i drive so little now i decided to just remove the spare tire. if i go on a long trip then i throw it in along with any tools i would need but i also have AAA for worse case.

·
From the land down under
4,681 Posts
Indeed...never leave your house without your aftermarket wheel nut puzzle socket

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed. I have the sockets and key required to remove my aftermarket wheels (and need to check that the wrench will turn them). Perhaps next time I have the rears off, I'll test fit one to see if I can even get it inside the car... I carry a towel to protect the interior.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts