Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
7m Power
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1990 supra last year, in february this year the motor seized and supposedly broke a connecting rod. I decided to replace the motor but the jdm motor that i bought has a different oil pan and different motor mounts from the motor that came in the car. I believe that the jdm motor that I bought is pre 89 or even worst a cressida motor which could explain why there are differences. I can't use the oil pan from the original motor because it has a hole in it.

is it possible for me to put on a oil pan like the one from the original motor and switch over the original motor mounts and put them in the same position as the original. the mounts on the jdm motor seem to be more towards the front.

please help me. Is it possible to put this engine in the car

·
way over budget
664 Posts
just use the oil pump and pan from your old motor (I'd get a new oil pump since the old engine seized, there is probably crap in there). then note where the mounts are on the old engine, and put them in that spot on the new engine. Good to go after .that

·
BOSS GT61 Powered
206 Posts
it may be possible check the engine codes and make sure there the same type of engine, if there the same engines u may be able to switch the motor mounts from your old motor to your new motor. as for the oil pan check it with your old pan first and make sure there is clearnce for the oil pump and everything, and if everything works then just get an oil pan form a junk yard or something. im not an expert but thats what i would do, please correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have bought 2 7MGE motors through a JDM importer and both came as what I assume Cressida motors. I had to swap everything both times. Oil pans, oil pick-up tubes, most accessory brackets, the mounts, harness...so my best advice would be to just put in an ad on this forum that your looking for a Supra oil pan for sale ASAP.
As a side note, all the Supra JDM motors(2 7MGEs and a 7MGTE) I bought during the last 4 years are still on the road.
Good Luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got the same ~5 years ago. I had to swapp the oil pan, the oil pump and the engine mounts from the original motor. It still may be a supra 7mge - with a different oil pan to accomodate right hand steering gear.

My advice - buy a new oil pump. The one you have is probably ruined by the metal shavings from the failed rod (the oil filter is no help since it is after the pump in the flow). In my case (spun a rod bearing) the oil pressure was dangerously low after the swap (still put 40k on the that jdm engine - now got bhg and rebuilding it).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts