Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how hard it will be to replace the stock tweeters? I also want to know how hard it will be to put 5 1/4" speakers in the doors? If anybody has any tips/instructions/shops in the San Bernardino worthy enough to trust it would be greatly appreciated.

Also would anybody have a shop manual for an MKIV?

Also has anybody had any problems putting an amp where the stock amp exists?

Thanks for all the responses

·
Registered
69 Posts
ive herd that replacing the tweeters in an Mkiv is the hardest thing imaginable. dont know why , ill look into it.
Anthony H.

94 tt auto
89 t 5spd

·
651 Posts
To install new tweeters "correctly" involves removing the dash.

It is not fun, trust me.

It is possible to install a 5.25" speaker in the door BUT, you will either have two options to do this....

First one... cut up the factory enclosure that held the factory 4" so that it will fit your new 5.25" speaker. I do not recommend this but, I have seen people do it.

Second one... build a mounting ring that will hold the new 5.25" speaker. You will have to sound dampen the door for this to work effectively.

Oh yea.. and just about any mid sized amp will fit where the factory amp once resided.

Here is a pic of a new mounting ring and what a "modified" factory enclosure looks like.

If you are interested in having me build the rings for your application they are $150.

You will even be able to go larger than your 5.25" with a new mounting ring if you are willing to lose the factory grill and replace it with the grill that came with your speakers.

Thomas Kenyon

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I need to carve out the original space and build a mounting ring for the 5.25"? What do you mean by sound deaden the door? and will the stock grill fit over the 5.25", if it doesn't I wouldn't mind using the grills that came with the speakers but what does that involve?

Any pics or tips of the dash being removed for the tweeters? That I would rather do than cut them into the door.

I am really trying to do this myself so that I can save on money (another reason why I am probably not gonna take your offer of the modified mounting rings, thx though).

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
It is possible to put in new tweeters by removing the covers and pulling the old ones out. I've seen it done and somebody here in oregon did it and posted pics with instructions on how to do it. I think his handle was mkivtt or something like that. He sold his supra back in dec-jan (black t66), so you may find the posting in the for sale section he put up to sell the car and then contact him directly.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I put a set of mb quart 4 inch components in the stock locations. the driverside tweeter can be gotten to by removing the intrument cluster/gages and everything else behind there, but the passenger side is not easy at all. Instead of taking the dash out, which is what you need to do if you want to get the the two screws holding the tweeter bracket in, I decided to cut the tweeter out. It worked pretty well, everything looks stock, except when you look at the tweeters you see the titamium very distinctly under the stock grill. If I had it to do over again, I would just buy some coaxial 4 inch and saved myself a days worth of work! The little speakers put out a lot of sound, I have the x-over set at about 140hz, so I can play them that loud. The back 6 1/2's make up for what the 4 inch's can't do. Bigger speakers in the front would sound better, but it would also take you a lot longer to install.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts