Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do i really have to drain all the coolant to replace the thermostat or can i just wait till its all cold? Cause im feeling a bit lazy about draining all the coolant. I wanted to change a few more hoses before i do that.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You don't have to drain it, just remove the upper end from the housing and bend it so it doesn't leak and then remove the housing. You'll lose a little bit of coolant when you take the housing off but not much. Just replace what you lost and burp it, you'll be fine. GL.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Be sure to check if your coolant is in good condition. Just take a Voltmeter and submerge the positive and negative tips on the coolant to see if there is any voltage. If there is any noticeable voltage, go ahead and change. After a while, coolant turns into acid and corrodes your engine.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sorry to bbump this old thread. But can someone help me on how to install a new thrmostat? And what kind of thermostat i should use? Please help :dunno:

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
its simple just 2 bolts on the thermostat housing. Buy a thermostat from toyota or get one from a parts place. When you get one at an autoparts place they will ask you what heat range you want. I got the recommended on which I think was 180 degree. Make sure you install the new one the same way the old one came out.

Park on an upwards sloap after and take off your rad cap. Run the car and keep adding coolant until its full again. Parking it upwards with the rad cap oil will allow the air to escape.

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Pointy end towards the radiator with the jiggle valve on top.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
check the tsrm and there also should be directions on the package for the thermostat. I got a regular factory replacement from pepboys and that fixed my temp spiking porblem like nobodies busness. But yeah it was way easy, you dont have to drain all the coolant too just use like duct tape to bend back the main radiator hose upon itself. Any problems and dont hesitate to ask. Supra is a demanding girl sometimes isnt she?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts