Supra Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,489 Posts
jet864 said:
K I'm not one to get into stupid internet conflicts but this Z06 was driven by several different people, none of them were GM's pros. There is a member on the Corvette forums named Ranger and yes, he has taken his bone stock C5 Z06 into the 11s. I know it's not the norm but I never said it was. I said "factory freaks". Read the whole thread on the Z06, you'll read all the details there.

I would bet you real money all the car mags get the Z into the 11s stock trapping no lower than 124. I don't know why you're bringing up BPU Supras, they were never even considered in this conversation until you started putting down the Z06. We're here on this thread to discuss the Z06's quarter stats, that's all but I guess we can all have our own opinions. :)

James
No conflict here. I promise! I read that several people drove the Z06 making passes all day in it. [I read the Z06 thread before I posted too] The low 12 pass was actually a freak with most passes in the mid 12s to 13s. I'm not interested in what a pro-driver can do that none of us can duplicate. I never go by magazine times as they don't calculate the times the same way a track does by using averages. I use them in reference to other magazine times though. :)

You're right, I shouldn't have mentioned a Supra. This thread just made me think of the C6 vs BPU thread awhile back. Also being on Supraforums just makes me think about Supras for some reason. :nuts:

I never put down the C6 Z06 either. Now the C5 Z06, maybe. ;)

John H

· 2014 E63 S
3,097 Posts
Dave Hill mentioned to the press and everyone in attendance last week that the car will run mid 11's on street tires, and has a top speed over 190MPH. They've tested it over 1,700 laps. I'll take the head Corvette guy's word on it, because he would be foolish to just make stuff up that would haunt him later on big time.

· Registered
3,024 Posts
I have no doubt that drag racing diehards will be all over the mid, maybe LOW 11s with the C6 Z06 bone stock (by abusing the hell out of it!), seeing how many have cracked the very high 11s with stock C5 Z06's (by abusing the hell out of them!). The hardcore Z06 drag guys are launching at 6500 rpm with ET Streets for amazing ETs, although this probably isn't very healthy for the tranny.

I went to a GA Corvette meet at Silver Dollar not too long ago, and the vast majortiy of the C5s were in the low to high 13s, while the majority of the Z06s were in the high 12s, with a few in the 13s. Only a couple highly modded Zs managed to crack the 11s with an extra 100 RWHP over stock or more. I bet you'll see lots of C6 Z06s in the 12.2 to 12.5 range for the typical street driver, although the car has lots more in it.

The new Z06 only makes the C5 Z06 look even more attractive to me, since it is becoming more and more of a bargain every day, and besides, I have a house and other investments, I woulnd't dream of spending $75K on a toy! On the other hand $30K for a used C5 Z06 is doable, and I would still be able to keep the Supra (that might be a good time to convert the Supra to a TH400 and have the Z for road racing :D ). Now if I can just find some doctor that babied his C5 Z and now wants the latest and greatest C6 Z.......hmmmmmm......

· Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
12,986 Posts

· Registered
2,571 Posts
BLITZSUPRA said:
The new Z06 only makes the C5 Z06 look even more attractive to me, since it is becoming more and more of a bargain every day, and besides, I have a house and other investments, I woulnd't dream of spending $75K on a toy! On the other hand $30K for a used C5 Z06 is doable, and I would still be able to keep the Supra (that might be a good time to convert the Supra to a TH400 and have the Z for road racing :D ). Now if I can just find some doctor that babied his C5 Z and now wants the latest and greatest C6 Z.......hmmmmmm......
Solid arguments! :bigthumb:

· Registered
2,753 Posts
If I had to put money on it, I would bet the new Z06 will run 11's stock with stock tires. Wait until the magazines like [email protected] test it in good conditions. They got 12.5's out of the older Z06, now it has 100 more horsepower and nearly the same weight. Do the math..

· Registered
2,571 Posts
MRSUPRA said:
If I had to put money on it, I would bet the new Z06 will run 11's stock with stock tires. Wait until the magazines like [email protected] test it in good conditions. They got 12.5's out of the older Z06, now it has 100 more horsepower and nearly the same weight. Do the math..
I agree. Basically I won't be surprised if the C6 Z06 drag performance (and note with carbon fiber fenders and floors + magnesium roof frame, alum. hydroformed frame otherwise + other stuff, it's far from just a drag performance car) fall into the following categories [again in showroom/warranty trim]:

high 10s @ 128 mph: factory freak + gearhead owner/driver + excellent track prep and conditions + drag tires/skinnies

low 11s @ 128 mph: same as above but stock tires

11.4s to 12.1s @ 126 mph: good example + good driving + excellent track prep and conditions (what most will see in fall/spring cool sea level air after few months seat time)

12.2s to 12.6s @ < 122 mph: about as rare sight as the low 11s Z06 in cool sea level air, but may be common sight in elevation and/or sultry air. To do mid-12s on nearly 122 mph has got to be God-aweful driving or poor track conditions.

The various rumors say the LS7 will have mad flowing heads out of the box that LS6 guys would dream about. Given that H&C NA 346cid LS6 guys put out 500+ flywheel hp easily (with smaller exhaust and TB), a 427 cid LS7 making "only" 505 hp despite mad flowing heads + huge 90mm TB + dual 3" exhaust all indicates a severe cam limited number. Pop in a bigger cam with this LS7 and we're talking possible mid-10s with bigger gear and DRs in smog/road-racing trim.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.