Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine told me that instead of having a blow off Valve, have no boost release Says it makes a turbo faster. not sure what to think . anyone ever hear about this ? is it dangerous ?and pros and cons on the whole Idea?

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
Die like shooting out of the sides of your housing, worst case. But it will put excessive shock on the tubo when that surge wave hits it.

Eric

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we do not run a bov, because the regular bov's can not handle that much pressure and blow the seals out.

When running the boost level we are at you have to either run no bov, or run a wastegate in place of the BOV

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
What sort of boost level are you running, if it'd ok that I ask. And is the wstegate hooked up in the same configuration as the BOV?

Not to ask any trade secrets, or anything

Thanks

Eric
4 digit HP

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
What would you recommend for running somewhere in the range of 45-60psi manifold pressure? It's an aspect that's been on my mind for a while, and I can't seem to come up witha viable solution.

Eric

4 digit HP

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
maybe

maybe your friend is talkin about a BOV that releases the surge of air right back into the intake trac....instead of having a open BOV it has a hose that runs right back to the piping

·
Registered
103 Posts
there are some japanese BOV's designed to run that sort of boost.

Failing that, make your own. they aren't exactly complex things - we have had our own made up before, and there is no reason you couldn't make something that would be strong enough to handle those sorts of pressures.....

The notion that you cant make seals hold more than 35psi is simply rediculous - if your whole inlet system can hold 35psi then so can your BOV.

Get something like a HKS type R Bov or trust type R - whoever it is that makes the bigass racing ones.. they are exxy - but they will hold that pressure fine...

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
I think that the HKS Racing II is rated up to 40psi, and that under normal circumstances would be fine. But I think we're going to need something with some "clamping" power. With those kinds of pressures, I'd think that once it's open, say between gear shifts, it's be hard to get it closed again. I had a similar problem this time last year with my Greddy Type R.

Thanks

Eric

4 digitsk

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
I guess it'll take some experimentation. I've been talking to diesel truck guys running 800HP in their dodge pickups, and finding out what they use. It's all a mystery when you start pumping up the boost pressure, and a lot of guys don't want to give away the farm as far as the experiences they've had and what they've learned.

Eric

Socko rubbed my feet

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
interesting, i didnt even know it was an issue having the valve close between shifts. what do the drag cars use? like the twin y2k v8's? do they use the wastegate idea? hmm, i guess this isnt as simple as the double blowoff valve problem like a HKS racing 2 followed by a SSQV.

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
I was reading about Bob Norwoods MR2 that he used to blast through records at teh salt flats, and he brought up some good points. Through trial and error, they found that, because of the boost pressure, the valves in the cylinder head had a harder time seating. I'm not sure what sort of springs they ran, but they reiniforced it immediately. My head is being ported more extensively than before and we're installing springs that can handle insane boost pressures like that. It seems that SO many things that you take for granted, like the BOV clamping shut after the shift, are out the window. I was thinking of popping open my Greddy BOV to take a look inside and see if we couldn't fabricate something where we could put a spring within a spring, but I haven't been around to do it. A dual spring set-up would definitely have some clamping power.

Eric

Socko looks hot today

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would rethink that frendship before I you blow up your turbo !!
talk is cheep turbos aren't , wastegates keep turbos from overreving so wastegate GOOD !! no wastegate BAD !!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts