Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had odd A70 87' supra sitting in my garage for like a year now, but I'm so lost on what I should be doing. It's been sitting out in the rain before who knows how long. When I took it in, it was so faded. The first thing we did was try to cover all of the major rust holes. But never mind the body.

For I would just like to get it running, but a simple clutch replacement job turned into leaving it jacked up for a year because we didnt know how to put the transmission back in, and since then i dont even I know where all the rest of the parts and how they go back in are (starter, intake manifold, wires by the transmission)

Also have no idea if the engine runs anymore because smart me decided to spray intake and turbo cleaner past the MAF, which resulted in the engine not being able to start even though it does want to.

If anyone's got some advice, I'm open to talk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I usually have limited time to work on my car and try not to bite more than I can chew - sometimes shit happens though. It's one of my biggest fears forgetting where I left off so I take lots and lots of pictures of the entire process.

To reinstall the parts, the best place to look might be the TSRM. There are a few versions floating around - I believe there is pdf version for '87 too. If you can't find it, I might have it somewhere on my computer. There was recently a hard copy on Ebay, not sure if it's still available.

You most likely need a new AFM, I think most people find them used, but if not this might be an option: 87+ LEXUS LS400 SC300 SC400 GS300 SUPRA MK3 MK4 MASS AIR FLOW METER SENSOR 7MGTE - Toyota

I haven't tried it, but seriously considering it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I shot after the MAF so nothing touched it. I hope. And what is a TSRM?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh ok. Thankyou, hopefully this works for the 87, I probably should've added that I have the 7m-gte and r154 transmission.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh ok. Thankyou, hopefully this works for the 87, I probably should've added that I have the 7m-gte and r154 transmission.
Which is wierd because under the hood that shows a map of the engine it says 7m-ge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
How familiar are you with the history of the car? It's possible that it was a non-turbo car swapped with a 7MGTE or maybe the hood was replaced with one from a non-turbo 🤷‍♂️

I just remembered, there are a few videos about transmission removal - try searching "supra transmission removal" on Youtube.

This is for a Mustang, but it's a great video that might give a refresher and some general tips:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah ik about chrisfix. It wasnt that we didnt know how to put it back on. It just didnt fit well when trying to put it back on. And then we lost the bell housing bolts for the transmission to engine. But even before that. I'm just completely forgot how to put everything else together.

Next time. I'm gonna try jacking the engine from the front to get a better angle. That's what I forgot to do.

Oh yeah. And I have the same transmission jack that he uses.

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
497 Posts
To find out if your car originally had a turbo or NA, look at your VIN code and then check this page out Data Tag/VIN Decoding Information

If the VIN checks out that it was built as a turbo, I would suspect the hood has been changed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This site also has the electronic parts catalog with diagrams of how every part fits in the car, and the Toyota electrical wiring diagram, with all the connectors, wire colors and how they fit. Hours studying. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1989 7M-GTE
35 Posts
Reinstalling the R154 is tricky but not that hard. TSRM has all the steps. You probably got hung up on the fact that the R154 must be removed and reinstalled with the pressure plate and clutch on the transmission, not bolted to the flywheel. Otherwise, there's not enough clearance in the drive tunnel. It's a tight squeeze for sure, but doable especially with a trans jack.

Driftmotion.com sells bellhousing bolts (and everything else you'll need for R154 reinstallation).
Make sure to follow the TSRM for the slave cylinder and release bearing installation. Also I'd recommend replacing the rear main and pilot bearing while you have it apart.

Good luck brother. I learned everything I know about cars rebuilding my 89T in a storage unit 🙂👍

·
Registered
1989 7M-GTE
35 Posts
Also I forgot to mention, after reattaching the R154, you tighten the flywheel down through the access ports on the bell housing. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah. Spot on. Watching chrisfix's transmission video where he took off the trans then pressure plate and clutch got me confused about the toyota. Reinstalling I have the plate and clutch on the car already. So I should take them off and put them over the transmission thing. Jack the front of the engine to bend it over (which for some reason spills coolant) then try to reinstall.

Itll get done someday. I hope.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts