Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The car went on the dyno tonight for a full tune. Thanks to Brad Brooks for his hard work in tuning the car. He goes through the AEM like a machine, awesome tuner and great guy! The car runs like it is a stock Supra, from idle to shifting.

I would like to know if these numbers are in the correct area for the setup on the car. So your thoughts are welcomed.

Here are the modifications of the car:

-Stock Internal 3.0 2JZGTE with 55,000miles
-AEM EMS with 5Bar MAP Sensor
-GT47-80mm
-Virtual Works Exhaust Manifold
-Greddy 4row Intercooler
-5inch Down Pipe/ Mid Pipe
-HKS Exhaust
-HKS 60mm Wastegate
-HKS BOV
-HKS Ignition DLI
-1000cc Injectors/ Fuel System
-RPS C/C Clutch
-Manual Boost Controller set @30psi
-C16 Fuel

Here is the graph, the torque readings were off so they are not shown. This is at 30psi with a/f in the 11s. Uncorrected. C16 fuel. 684whp.

·
Banned
366 Posts
My car did 730 at the wheels on a 74 at 29psi.... your definitely losing power somewhere. How was the timing? A/f's in the high 11's are a bit on the edge of trouble for a street car.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a feeling those were low numbers. I thought I should have been in the mid 700s at those boost levels.

James, if I send you my map would you be able to look over it to make sure everything is ok?

·
9's Club
5,340 Posts
POwer is fine for the ammount of boost/cam efficiency. That turbo is WAY out of its efficiency range, and the lack of cams are a bigger issue the bigger the turbo. CHange the cams and add 2psi and expect 100WHP more.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I would definitely think its down on power. Most people make similar power or more with 67-71mm turbos at 30psi. Stock cams will definitely limit you though.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have no idea why the power is low. It is hard to believe I would have internal damage to the motor because of how well I maintain it when it was bpu only. It runs perfect with no smoke.

The following is the map of this tune:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2mmtnht3tok

·
9's Club
5,340 Posts

I would definitely think its down on power. Most people make similar power or more with 67-71mm turbos at 30psi. Stock cams will definitely limit you though.
67-71mm turbos peak efficiency range is right arround 30psi. This turbo of his is not even close at 30psi. That added to lack of cams which will hurt power more on a larger turbo than they would on a small turbo, and you have the equation to the lack of power.

·
It will never run...
584 Posts
I would imagine a 272 or 280 cam would go hand in hand with this setup. Not to mention, I'm sure you aren't taking the turbo high enough in rpm's to do you any good. Throw some cams in there, springs and retainers...and rock it until you can throw the built motor in there(which I believe I read somewhere you were doing that).

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate all the feedback guys, however you are all making me confused haha.

-some say the numbers are normal because of the lack of cams and where the turbo's efficiency level is.

-some say the numbers are too low for the setup and that there is a problem.

The tuner said the numbers were around what they should be because of the lack of cams and intake manifold. My question is, in all reality, can I gain 100whp just out of cams? Sounds hard to believe.

·
9's Club
5,340 Posts
I appreciate all the feedback guys, however you are all making me confused haha.

-some say the numbers are normal because of the lack of cams and where the turbo's efficiency level is.

-some say the numbers are too low for the setup and that there is a problem.

The tuner said the numbers were around what they should be because of the lack of cams and intake manifold. My question is, in all reality, can I gain 100whp just out of cams? Sounds hard to believe.
From cams+2psi of boost yes 100WHP to me sounds realistic.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
-I went over the car for leaks, everything seems to be ok.

-New NGK Heat range 8 (2668) spark plugs were installed before the tune and gapped .020

Really all that matters to me is that the car made the correct power for the setup at that boost level. However if it did not, I would like to find the problem and repair it.

I do not want to purchase cams and an intake manifold then dyno and make more low numbers for that setup. If the car is not running correctly I would like to rather repair the problem first.

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Did you record the RPM pickup? If so, what did that plot look like?

I agree you are way low on power for that boost level and that size turbo. I would do a compression check on the motor and go from there. Also, if you are running the AEM you might just have conservative timing causing such low numbers.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I agree, the powers are very low for that turbo and boost, even with stock eng and cams. pre-turbo Exhaust leak?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only logical reason I can come up with for the low numbers is bad motor, but I took care of this motor.

I guess compression test is the nest step.

However lets say it is not the motor?

1 - 20 of 151 Posts