Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
89 Turbo Hardtop
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found Out The Problem

After installing a Fluidyne radiator, I have really high pressure in my cooling system and i might be a small BHG but no mixture of water and oil. If i ReTorque the head with ARP bolts can it be fixed? and has anyone THINK about trying this?

(btw my brother is a machanic and he is thinking about doing this and just askin to see if anyone have done this)

Edit: Found out the problem and it was a bad heater core for anyone has the same problem.

·
Registered
375 Posts
if it is a more effiecnt radiator which might make is smaller, usung the stock amount of coolent in smaller radiator would taht build pressure higher, is the rad cap blowing off or anyything?> or did u notice it during a test?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
SupraManiac said:
After installing a Fluidyne radiator, I have really high pressure in my cooling system and i might be a small BHG but no mixture of water and oil. If i ReTorque the head with ARP bolts can it be fixed? and has anyone THINK about trying this?

(btw my brother is a machanic and he is thinking about doing this and just askin to see if anyone have done this)
That would be a small bandage at best. HGs are usually compromised by a small fissure or a piece blown out exposing your coolant routing to compression. Squeezing the head down tighter won't replace that piece. If it is indeed a BHG, the best thing to do is fix it. If this started just after you changed the radiator, I would get the cooling system checked first.

·
90T
460 Posts
If you are sure it is a BHG, then retorqueing is almost certainly useless. I just replaced mine and the damage to the stock gasket was shocking. The water holes were all distorted badly and the fire rings were egg shaped, even on the cylinders without measurable leakage. Both the head and block had grooves worn where the fire rings were located, meaning that even at ridiculous torque there was no hope of getting a good seal. If it was me I would bite the bullet and rebuild.

By the way, your symptom of high coolant pressure, how did you measure it? A BHG usually includes coolant loss, miss at idle, coolant in the oil, etc.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Well, I think I have a BHG because I'm experiencing pressure too. It's ok araound town but if I get on the hwy for more than 20 min, the reservoir starts to fill up.
I only lose coolant when the reservoir overflows by filling up all the way on longer trips. It is the only symptom I have though. No coolant in the oil or vice versa.
In fact, the coolant is so clean the only reason I can see it is because it's translucent green. Every once in a while though, it might idle rough after a ride and then parking it for a couple of minutes but it straightens up pretty quickly.

·
89 Turbo Hardtop
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tookwik4u89 said:
What is it doing exactly that makes you think its high pressure?
the rad hose is hard ass hell and every heater hose as well......tomorrow i will flush out the whole system and see the results then. NO the rad cap stays but you can see the coolant hissing at the heater core. everytime when it cools down i open the rad cap there is compressed air. its like opening a coke bottle when shaking a little bit.

·
Verrrry nice!
302 Posts
I wouldn't bet against a hg because its common.....but, it doesnt sound like you had a problem b4 radiator change, or did you? If the hoses stay pressurized after it is cold, you have a bad or wrong radiator cap. When you shut it off the pressure will build and push it into the overflow, when it cools off it should suck it back in. it should not have pressure cold. Also be sure you get all air out of the system as it warms up, run the heater on high and fill rad as it warms up, you should see some evidence of flow after t/stat opens, then top it off and cap it.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
SupraManiac said:
the rad hose is hard ass hell and every heater hose as well......tomorrow i will flush out the whole system and see the results then. NO the rad cap stays but you can see the coolant hissing at the heater core. everytime when it cools down i open the rad cap there is compressed air. its like opening a coke bottle when shaking a little bit.

Flush, burp the system, fill whats needed then see if it happens again, if so replace the rad cap and see whats next.

·
89 Turbo Hardtop
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tookwik4u89 said:
I wouldn't bet against a hg because its common.....but, it doesnt sound like you had a problem b4 radiator change, or did you? If the hoses stay pressurized after it is cold, you have a bad or wrong radiator cap. When you shut it off the pressure will build and push it into the overflow, when it cools off it should suck it back in. it should not have pressure cold. Also be sure you get all air out of the system as it warms up, run the heater on high and fill rad as it warms up, you should see some evidence of flow after t/stat opens, then top it off and cap it.
all the pressure goes away when it is cold...I changed rad caps like 3 times so that cant be the problem. I really need to flush and burp.

·
89 Turbo Hardtop
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found it the problem was a bad heater core.....just bypassed the system and its back to normal!

·
89 Turbo Hardtop
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all ya help....i would of took apart my head because i thought it was a BHG!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts