Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going back to the dyno to make some runs with race gas. When I dynoed the first time I made 381rwhp and 413rwtq (at 18.5psi). You can see my mods and dyno chart at www.geocitites.com/steve_jarvis_me . I have switched to a manual boost controller so I don't expect the same torque peak (since I shouldn't have a boost spike). If I was getting knock retard (which I don't think I was) than my rwhp should be higher. I guess we will have to wait and see.

We will also be tuning the RX7 that we have been building in my garage. This car has the Greddy intake, Greddy T78, M2 Medium intercooler upgrade, 1400cc secondary injectors, ported engine with dual spring 2mm apex seals, HKS Super Sequential BOV, Greddy external wastegate, 3" down pipe, 3" mid pipe, HKS Dragger cat back exhaust, Weldon fuel pump, Apexi Power FC, Shane Racing radiator upgrade, and we will be tuning at 15psi (street) and 17psi (track with race gas). We are hoping for over 400rwhp at 15psi and hopefully 30-40 more at 17psi.

I will let you know Fri.

Later, Steve

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: Steve Jarvis ]

·
4,417 Posts
Steve,

Be careful with that RX-7... I watched a single turbo RX-7 die on that dyno. It wasn't pretty. Don't let Jonathan get too wild with the boost!!! I'd hate to see something happen to his car.

Good luck with the tuning.

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be doing the tuning. We will have race gas in the tank for some extra insurance. I will only be running about 7 degrees of timing and tuning for 11.5:1 to 11.8:1 A/F ratio. It should make plenty of power at these settings. I would probably tune it a little more aggressively if it were mine.

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have posted this info in some of the other areas, but here are the results.

I made 406rwhp and 425rwtq.

The T78 RX7 made 442rwhp and 330rwtq.

Later, Steve

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Steve

·
4,417 Posts
Steve...

Did you and Jonathan race after the tuning was done? Just curious how a strong Supra BPU+ does against the singled RX-7.

Nice numbers by the way!

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't really consider my car BPU+ since all I have is a fuel computer on top of BPU. We never really had a side by side race. I can't believe it considering that we followed each other all the way to VIR. I'm sure with his power to weight advantage he would take me. If we decide to race, I will make sure the race includes a 2nd to 3rd shift. RX7 owners miss those 75% of the time. :) I know since I used to be one also. That should be enough of an advantage to make it close.

Later, Steve

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Steve Jarvis ]

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Steve, I dynoed this weekend. Unfortunately I had a small 1/4" boost leak, no big deal. With no cooling at all I put down 383rwhp and 436rwtq with an exhaust cam gear (not tuned, just at -3). Another BPU + VPC, FMIC, cam gear, and GCC put down ~395. I tried to touch his IC at the end of his run (both ours were in 5th) and almost burned myself, I don't wanna know what mine was like. Both were on pump gas.

My graph looked kind of like yours, with the jaggedness on it. Then the dyno operator took out the smoothness setting and the graph looked horrific. All the other cars that dynoed that day (most on 117 race gas) looked the same.

I think the best solution for dyno cooling might be a high powered leaf blower, at least for those of us with the stock IC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts