Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, ive taken apart my motor.. and it seems that i ordered the wrong bearing size.. 02 instead of 03 for the Crank, Well.. I called the dealer today and was told that they can get them in a minimum of 3 weeks (bear in mind, I live in the middle east).. and shipping them from the states will cost an arm and a leg keeping in mind the bearings themselves dont cost alot. anyways, long story short.. i need the car ready in 5 days.. and i cannot get new bearings, so.. can i reuse my old bearings? or is it a bad idea? and, is there any way to see if my old bearings are actually useable? (ie, check for scratches, burns, or any distinctive marks or colorings?)

Thank you,
Sam

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are some pics of the 2 bearings that are in worst condition..

sorry for the Large pics, its just that you really need to zoom in to get a detailed image.

the small wavey scratches happened after they were taken out because they were all in one plastic bag. the surface from all angles is very smooth all around, im new to this. so, any opinions will be welcomed!

Click on the pictures to zoom.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Do not reuse your old ones!!! Just Use The new ones you have!...The difference between a 2 and a 3 will still put you well within manufacturers specs!! Do make sure you double check the clearances with some plastigage and away you go! You'll find that your clearances will be around .001-.002 no matter whether you use the 2 or 3 as both are within a few hundred thousandths of each other! max Allowable on the 2jz is in the neighborhood of .0025 so make sure you are under that and away you go!

Dave

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx alot.. but could someone elaborate a bit more??

i wouldnt want to risk rod knock or causing damage to my engine..

what about if i needed size 2, and had a set of size 1 bearings?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm assuming you didn't regrind the crank?

Same thing...good to go...This was toyota's way of doing a process called Blueprinting, where you hand fit and measure each bearing to the journal....Toyota(as do many other imports) make bearings in miniscule variations of thickness...interchanging them will have no ill effects other then to alter the clearance a few hundred thousandths(but still WELL within OEM specs)...I do stress to double check though with plastigage or mic them if you have one...

Dave

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the crank hasent been regrinded at all.. its the first time this engine is opened!

i'll check the clearance with a plastigauge.. ill have to learn how to use one first though!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bahraini_zupra said:
dude its easy to measure with plastigauge !
the problem is IF WE COULD FIND ANY IN HERE !
otherwise just slap thoes bearings and i really wish u all the luck !

LOL... u just dont know where to look my friend, i already found them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts