Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the car will idle fine..you rev it up to any rpm over 2K and it will go back down and try to die..9 outta 10 times it will..will start right back up with out any hesitation. you can give it gas and it will keep it from dieing..so i know its not a fuel probelm. please... help..

·
Registered
476 Posts
If it's stock check the hose on the Intake pipe, mine did the same thing and notice the car is shorting out. Other than that we need more info on your vehicle.
Michael Nguyen

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
everything tests ok bro..ive just noticed that at idle, im getting a really thick black smoke outta the exhaust..maybe this will help..thanks

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
You can maybe try a few things here:

1. Clean out the throttle body.
2. Check that nothing obstructing the intake pipes. I hear rats like to go into intakes. :wtflol:
3. Check that nothing is clogging the air filter.
4. Check that the TPS sensor screws are tight, if they are, I doubt its out of alignment. If it''s loose than time to break out the ohm meter and adjust the TPS to TSM specs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well the tps is tight man..not seeing any leks..also i have the aftermarket injen intake set up..im totally lost as to what it could be. the car runs fine other than a hesitation anytime you come to a complete stop and then try to accelerate. kinda stutters alittle..and the deep black smoke at idle..im lost. any other ideas?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no check engine light. but i did just read something about the MAF gettin greasy from K&N oil.. i believe this may be my problem..i did oil my filter right before these problems..Any suggestions on as to what to use for cleaning the maf?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no luck guys with cleaning the MAF..but after furthur inspection i found that my timing belt has about a 1/4 inch missing from the front side of it and is frailed out..also looks as if the cam gear on the passenger side is setting about two teeth ahead of the driver side gear..could this be my problem lol? also does anyone have just a quick instructional walk through of the timing belt install..need help as to where i align the crank..after searching , i seem to have read to place both cam gears at TDC (marks on the metal casing below the plug cover).dont mean to sound like an idiot but i wanna make sure i do it right the first time..lol..PLEASE HELP..

·
CNDBOOST
244 Posts
it sounds like a similer problem i had with my 87 T , i tried countless things , it ended up being a simple fuel filter ...... hope u figuer it out ! good luck

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
SupraStud said:
no luck guys with cleaning the MAF..but after furthur inspection i found that my timing belt has about a 1/4 inch missing from the front side of it and is frailed out..also looks as if the cam gear on the passenger side is setting about two teeth ahead of the driver side gear..could this be my problem lol? also does anyone have just a quick instructional walk through of the timing belt install..need help as to where i align the crank..after searching , i seem to have read to place both cam gears at TDC (marks on the metal casing below the plug cover).dont mean to sound like an idiot but i wanna make sure i do it right the first time..lol..PLEASE HELP..
You may want to check your engine timing at this point. The crank pulley should be at 10 degrees idle when your car is warm (you will need an engine timing gun). Judging the condition of your timing belt and cam gears, it may be a good idea to get this changed out and re-time the engine.

This come be the reason why you are getting alot of black smoke at idle, because the engine is off on its timing. However, it may not necessarily solve your problem with the engine dying at idle. You may want to check if your dash pot (behind the throttle body) has some tension on the throttle linkage. It's possible that the dash pot may need to be replaced, because if the idle drops too fast it can kill the engine. However, its rare to see a bad dashpot and this may not be necessarily your problem with the idle dying.

As for the engine timing. You can try and just retime the engine at 10 degrees before your change the timing belt to see if your Supra runs better. However, judging the condition of the belt and the cam gears being off, you may not be able to get the car time properly. But might be worth a quick try to see if the engine timing is really causing your problem.

·
Banned
220 Posts
i would check your compression.... if your car starts up and doesn't want to hold an idle w/o having to give it some gas.... sounds like you lost compression.... imo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
after actually being able to check. the timing gears are aligned right.. both as should be. my question being where should the crank pulley be sitting when the cam gears are at TDC? its not on the o mark.. its the mark to the left of the zero..either way the belt is junk but im not for sure why im getting all these problems all of a sudden..i installed my injen intake kit man and all of a sudden my ride takes a nose dive? Also now its gotten worse..the cars wants to miss etc until about 4K rpms then everything clears up and smooths out..let off the gas though and she dies out and starts missing and stuttering lol..thanks for the help guys and keep it coming please.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
SupraStud said:
after actually being able to check. the timing gears are aligned right.. both as should be. my question being where should the crank pulley be sitting when the cam gears are at TDC? its not on the o mark.. its the mark to the left of the zero..either way the belt is junk but im not for sure why im getting all these problems all of a sudden..i installed my injen intake kit man and all of a sudden my ride takes a nose dive? Also now its gotten worse..the cars wants to miss etc until about 4K rpms then everything clears up and smooths out..let off the gas though and she dies out and starts missing and stuttering lol..thanks for the help guys and keep it coming please.
At this point, your engine timing is pretty much off. The cam gears should align at the indent marks AND crank pulley should be at 0 degress when the car is off (obviously you will have to turn the crank pulley to 0 degrees and see where your cam gears are at). When the car is running at idle warm, it should be at 10 degrees.

Your pretty much at the point that you have to replace your timing belt (idler pulley and timing belt tensioner may need to be replaced also) and retime the engine. A Toyota Service Manual will be needed for this kind of job. In addition, you will most likely have to play with your distributor to get the car timed.

I'm pretty sure when you get your timing belt replaced and timing adjusted, you should be fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
timing

god i hope your right..lol..ive done got the parts here..just waitin to get time to do it..ill keep ya guys updated though for sure..thanks again

1 - 20 of 32 Posts