Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the maximum rpms a stock bottom end supra can take?

SAFELY! assuming the mods are supporting.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rpms

so 8300 without ever opening the bottom end, or are you saying that I need high performance bearings and probably a very high rate of balancing?

·
666 Posts
Re: rpms

You asked for stock from Toyota.... That's what I meant, what you do need is some 272 cams, upgraded valve springs/retainers. But why are you worried about RPMs soo much? Even with 272/272 cams you won't make much more peak power past 7000 RPMs

TOP SPEED said:
so 8300 without ever opening the bottom end, or are you saying that I need high performance bearings and probably a very high rate of balancing?

V

·
0 Posts
don't you need higher rev's though to get effective use out of bigger turbos?

I mean like HUGE turbos though(i.e. T76, T88, etc), not just a "minor" upgrade to single. 'Cause at 3si there's a huge debate 'bout the new GT399's that flow at 850cfm each, so 1700cfm total, that the only way that they'd be able to be used at peak efficiency in a 3.0L motor is if they were at a crazy boost pressure(somewhere in the 30's) and at some crazy rpm like 'bout 9000rpm, pretty much sayin that 1700cfm is too much for a "V" engine w/ only 3L of displacement. dunno if it's different though for an inline considering that there is less of a concern w/ balancing the crank and one turbo feeds all six turbos as opposed to each turbo feeding 3 cylinders. 'cause I know that our problem w/ 3/S's outside of the hassle of AWD drivetrain losses is that our stock turbos have such little flow, hell my stockers probably max out at 4000rpm and can only hold 10psi to redline with a PATHETIC 250cfm each compared to stock MKIV's which are probably more like 400cfm each.

·
666 Posts
Yes, but not much higher... Even with 272/272 cams P/P head and HUGE turbos the peak power is still only at 6800 RPMs and then declining from there... Look at these monster dyno sheets that are overlapped:
http://www.t04r.com/dynos/top_3_highest.jpg

Now until someone goes really crazy and gets into some custom 288 or 300 duration cams nobody will need to spin their motor over 8k... IMO it's just good to have it that high so you don't hit the rev limiter when you have 600-800+RWHP

VR400+hp said:
don't you need higher rev's though to get effective use out of bigger turbos?

V

·
0 Posts
what is the duration for the cams on a Ferrari or other comparable cars, w/ a low-displacement, high-revv platform?

Also what's a usual duration for your avg run of the mill car? and what's a decent "step" size as far as upgrading?

·
666 Posts
VR400+hp said:
what is the duration for the cams on a Ferrari or other comparable cars, w/ a low-displacement, high-revv platform?

Also what's a usual duration for your avg run of the mill car? and what's a decent "step" size as far as upgrading?
1. I have no clue.... but I guess that it would vary since everyone actually measures lift and duration a little differently

2. The only duration of cams I know of off hand are for some Toyotas(Lifts are all different and not all are DOHC) which are like 248,256,264,272,288,300 and 320(4ag Toyota Atlantic motor)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts