Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
!black
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all things equal (manual trans, each with their respective stock flywheels), how much faster does the 1JZ like to rev than the 2JZ-GTE? I know it's a revy little bastard, ala skyline...but I'm curious as to how much.

The reason is, I'm looking at a few of these dynos with higher power bands than their torqy cousins. However, if the car free-revs like some day it does, then the real "time" to get there closes quite a bit.

/discuss :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Are asking how fast they rev or how high?

If you're talk about how fast they rev with all things being equal then they both are the same.

If you're talking about how high then the shorter stroke can push a little farther.

·
Sawblades Rock!!!
194 Posts
I thought I heard somewhere that the 2jz flywheel was heavier than the 1jz's. If thats true, then the 1jz would rev faster.
But...most people that are serious just get a lightweight flywheel anyway.

·
Lagger
216 Posts
i am with TiWo2.0. Most people that have a 1j usually get a lighten flywheel with them. In my case i didn't i stuck with the stock flywheel pressure plate and clutch disk. The 1j does rev as fast as i thought it would. But it's not bad. Now i am removing my 1j for a 2j within the next few weeks(getting read for SILV06) And i will be using the same flywheel same clutch and same pressure plate as the i have now. So i will let you know the differences if any sortly. I am going to say that there won't be much of a difference unless both engines are stock. Then the difference would obviously(sp) would be the Max RPM either engine can do.

·
Sawblades Rock!!!
194 Posts
Just a quick question. Who said that the 1jz free revs? Because that would be awesome. My 7m sure as hell did not like to rev anything past 6k.

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
my 1jz revs to 7200 and hits a limit at times, then other times it hits 7800 and limits....dunno whats going on lol

·
LAG?? Learn to drive...
1,941 Posts
1j will rev faster than a 2j. the stroke is nearly an inch shorter. meaning that the piston speed is much less, meaning that at the same piston speed, the 1j is at a much higher rpm. basically when the 2j is at 7500rpm it has the same piston speed as the 1j at 9000. its all about rotational mass, and enertia. the less of each the easier ot is to spin and the faster it will accelerate. i.e it will rev faster.

now if you are free revving the motors there is little differance between the two. in fact i doubt youcould even tell a differance, but given everything equal(hp,tq, gearing, weight, etc.) fundamentally the 1j will rev faster and out rev the 2j.

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
here's a good question.... I've got the 2JZ block in my car. I've got the 1JZ head, and electronics, so I'm revving out to 7250 rpm. Is this bad for my engine? As far as I know, stock 2JZ engines can handle 8k rpm. comments?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts