Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 days ago my 87T starting acting up. When I am merging on to a highway, and i accelerate hard, the boost begins to build... and then all of a sudden the revs spike up and then go back down to normal. For instance, when at 3000 rpms, suddenly the rpms go up to 3500 and then back down to 3000. Any useful info would be greatly appreciated.
-Pete

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There isnt a loss of power during this, its just like a jolt of revs. I have also noticed that overall, the car is not performing as it did.

3,796 Posts
Auto or 5spd?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a 5 speed. I had a feeling it was the clutch. The turbo is in good condition. Its the original and has almost no shaft play. I might also have a boost leak. My stock intercooler piping is looking pretty hurt right now. The rubber has cracked. I have a new intercooler and some 2.5in piping (w/ silicone couplers) sitting in my closet. I just dont have the bends needed.

·
Banned
676 Posts
If it was a boost leak it wouldnt "spike" it would bog and stutter and you would see clouds of black smoke(fuel) coming out the back of the car. my guess is your clutch is crap.

To test your clutch, at a dead stop put it in 5th and try to start off like you would in 1st, if it moves and revs up its toast, if it stalls then its ok.

if you need a clutch i suggest a spec stage 3, stay away from RPS at all costs or you will be sorry, they are GARBAGE!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I plan on eventually changing the clutch. I wont be able to work on it for another month. Are there any potential problems with driving the car with a crappy cluth? Meaning can it cause any further problems?

The main problem I have encountered is that my new intercooler has the inlet and outlet on opposite sides, unlike the stock unit. Are there any suggestions as far as the path I should route the piping?

·
Registered
114 Posts
slowyoda89 said:
Bleed your slave cylinder for the clutch might have some air in the lines.
its slipping not sticking..

BTW....other than noticing more and more hondas outrunning you..its not really gonna hurt anything....except you might overheat and mess the flywheel up...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
toyoguru said:
BTW....other than noticing more and more hondas outrunning you..its not really gonna hurt anything....except you might overheat and mess the flywheel up... [/B]
There will be no hondas in front of me. That is a fact. So basically i should just go easy on it until i get a new clutch or i might be stuck with the expense of a new flywheel.

L

·
0 Posts
If you keep the TQ to the flywheel at a minimum, you should be OK. In other words, no launching, no speed shifting, no clutch drops, no high speed downshifts without rev-matching, and lastly, no high boost 2nd or 3rd gear runs to redline.

Basically I'm just reminding myself of these things since I'm in the same slipping clutch boat...lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
True. Good advice. Thanks for the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts