Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay.. now that i have my electric fan working I want to make it a positive trigger switch without having to buy a new relay. I would first of all like to know if it is possible. Secondly, if it is, how can I rewire the relay to obtain a power great enough to push the fan from say +B in the ignition box. This might require a positve switch inline with the bat power and fuse. Any ideas?

What would have I have to buy? Any of you EE's out there feel free to ring in.. I'm CS so analog electrics(volt and amps) are not my strong suit.

Right now the relay switch goes to ground and I manually plug/unplug when I get in and out of the car.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Why aren't you just running it exactly like it shows with a switch inside the car grounding 85 on the relay?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went over this is a different thread. I have it wired exactly as the diagram show, exept instead of switch it is grounded.

I don't want it to be a manual switch. I want it to be started when the can is started. I haven't found anything that goes ground when the car is started, but there are plenty of things that go positive.

·
Search
3,305 Posts
This is easy, I should have seen it earlier...

Take terminal 86 and Ground it, instead of putting 12V to it.

Take terminal 85 and put your B+ to it.

Anyone see anything wrong with that?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
No need to swap them like that. Just ground pin 85 and apply a switched +12V to pin 86 instead of constant +12V.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where would I get the switched 12v+? The +B probably can't handle the amps the fan will need, correct?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
I'll do up a diagram, the switched +12V can be from anywhere, it's very low amperage.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would require buying a switch to be placed inline with the 86. Justins will work with simply sniping a wire.

Unless you mean place the 86 into a positive switch, such as the +B.

I mean, both will require me changing the harness, but am I understanding you correctly Jeff?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Pin 86 is just a switched +12V source, my diagram shows that, you can use whatever the heck you want to apply +12V to it, including (but not limited to) the ignition switch.

Wire it to a switched +12V source, that is all. It is the implimentation of Justin's thought.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome. I will try that and do a write up of the installation when I get a new radiator

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Soo.....you do want the fan to run for every second, minute and hour that the car is running....yes?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why a tempature switch? It takes about 5 mins to get the car up to it's peak, where the fan would then kick on with a tempature switch.
It will stay there there no matter what because our cars opperate at a very high temp. I don't think that running the fan all of the time will shorten it's life any more significantly. I might change my mind when I get a better radiator, but with this POS rad my car is extremly hot without a fan.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The rewire worked perfectly! Thanks Jeff.. that is exactly what I wanted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts