Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
So i have a 93 mk4 Supra and was wondering if anyone has ever tried to convert their headlights from RHD to LHD to get the correct light formation required in their country.
If anyone has done this before i would be very happy to get some pointers on how to do it :)

Nice picture of my shabby looking Supra, Will go to paint in a few months, just need some new parts before that.

·
I turn my own wrenches!
5,201 Posts
I literally just performed this on my ‘94 RHD with brand new ‘98 headlights and taillights.
What’s your question?

Plug n play unless you’re going with ‘98 lights like I did there’s just a little bit of wiring. 93-96 should be no wiring.

·
I turn my own wrenches!
5,201 Posts
I believe that it's slightly more involved than people are letting on.

It's simple to do, but if memory serves me correctly, the bulbs themselves are different US vs. JDM so you will need to change those, too.
Not sure how so, The only wiring I had to do was because the '98 headlights and '98 turn signals are different compared to 93-96. Because the '98 do not have the "parking" light inside the headlight housing as its on the signal housing. As far as bulbs I purchased new Led lights 9006 and 9005 which I believe are the same size for RHD headlights as well.

So if OP was to just install 93-96 headlights and not '98 versions then I don't see what he would need to wire up as I believe both 93-96 LHD and RHD have the parking lights inside the headlight housing I.E. the cone shaped cover. I believe the 93-96 RHD high beam and low beams are 9005 as the LHD high beams are 9005 and low beam 9006.

·
...pop the hood!
936 Posts
on the mkiv, are the highbeams set to throw the light higher on the passenger side and lower on the drivers side so's not to blind oncoming traffic?

that may be what the op is asking...

·
Ninja
956 Posts
on the mkiv, are the highbeams set to throw the light higher on the passenger side and lower on the drivers side so's not to blind oncoming traffic?

that may be what the op is asking...
This is what he’s asking. The projectors are clocked at different angles for Lhd and rhd. I believe you can adjust the angle of the prpjector with a screw driver, the high beam and low beam part numbers are also switched from 9005 and 9006 to 9006 and 9005. I have Lhd and rhd headlights next to each other and if you consider the projectors “eyes” then they’re both definitely clocked different.

Reactions: jdm-rhd

·
Registered
12 Posts
It took some iterations to get just right, but since the height and sweep are fully adjustable, I simply re-aimed my 93 RHD’s headlamps to get the proper (or close-enough to proper) beam patterns.

And I replaced the low beam bulbs while I was at it.
Yes, early JDM low beams use a 9005 bulb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts