Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dose anyone know??
Is legal or illegal to
own & operate right drive supra in Califoria??

who know the rule in registering a car fom japan..
what needs to be done for emmissions??
and the type of driver license get??
Let me know ASAP
thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
867 Posts
well it's not illegal to drive a right hand drive car in california. To get a jdm car registered is a lot easier as long as the car that's coming in is identical to the one that's already here. The motor would then need to pass visual and emissions. What's involved...i dunno. The only thing we mess with is legalizing jdm motor swaps. That's in the process right now with a loop hole we found.
 

·
+1 FTMFW
Joined
·
756 Posts
why would you want a rhd so when you go to burger king you have to get out the of the car lol theres no point and its a waist of money
 

·
Launching in 3...2...1...
Joined
·
480 Posts
Someone mentions a Right Hand Drive Supra, and all you can think about is having to get your ass out of the car next time you go to BK.

Well for one, you could check your mail and stay on the right side of the road. And a RHD Supra is thy ultimate Dream Car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,907 Posts
I just talked to one of the workers from Rising Sun the other day about this (while waiting for the mk2's 6m). He said the powers that be are actually considering banning the importation of front clips because they could theoretically be welded on to US-spec cars.


Reasons why JDM cars can't easily be made legal in the states:

They lack the smog equipment US-spec cars have (EGR etc)
They often lack safety glass
They may have different strutural supports which would have to be crash-tested
They lack VIN's


The guy seemed pretty knowlegable about it, and he did have a legalized RHD Toyota Hilux chillin in the parking lot
 

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
Joined
·
6,571 Posts
my uncle in the philippines has a RHD EVO6 and i hate driving rhd. Granted the car was balls fast and fun to drive..but driving rhd was like wankin it left hand style...just didnt feel the same..my right hand was the power shifter and left hand on the wheel. in that case..power shifting left handed felt weak...plus the entire world felt different for me.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update

Thanks for info you guys
LIsten to this??
I found someone who can get a complete RHD JZa70
from Japan into the U.S.
Supra for $3000 (a Turn key)
plus S/H transport fees $1000 +/-
OR
Do a
1JZ engine clip swap in my Supra??
$2900 +/- for Clip
Spend additional $2000 +/-
to get it runnig?? Exhaust,harnes etc.. basic Mods

I ask someone at CHips is it legal to own & operated a RHD car??
Yes, BUT you need to go to DVM & patition it ownership and other BS issues. Doing more reseach??
But then I ask is legal to convert your U.S. spec. car to RHD??
It was legal to do so..
But there some fine detail regarding VIN# that need to be approved by CHip before starting this project??

So you guys give your imput..
Thanks
 

·
CT12 Destroyer
Joined
·
2,993 Posts
Car has to be able to pass certain emissions and such im pretty sure

From what i've heard the car has to has the injection system changed...Im not sure but when a friend of mine worked a foreign auto dealer they had to change ijection on those cars (Porsche RHD ,Audi RHD, Subaru RHD)

And as for the RHD Parts ...i THINK you can bring it in as a parts car im not entirely sure. My brother right now is in the middle of trying to by a totaled skyline to use for parts..

If any of my info is wrong ..sorry
 

·
boost freak
Joined
·
10,042 Posts
don't even bother trying to import a whole car. if customs/EPA/DMV catches you, they crush the car. you MUST go through the proper channels.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
867 Posts
Re: update

sofro7m said:
Thanks for info you guys
LIsten to this??
I found someone who can get a complete RHD JZa70
from Japan into the U.S.
Supra for $3000 (a Turn key)
plus S/H transport fees $1000 +/-
OR
Do a
1JZ engine clip swap in my Supra??
$2900 +/- for Clip
Spend additional $2000 +/-
to get it runnig?? Exhaust,harnes etc.. basic Mods

I ask someone at CHips is it legal to own & operated a RHD car??
Yes, BUT you need to go to DVM & patition it ownership and other BS issues. Doing more reseach??
But then I ask is legal to convert your U.S. spec. car to RHD??
It was legal to do so..
But there some fine detail regarding VIN# that need to be approved by CHip before starting this project??

So you guys give your imput..
Thanks

To ship a container it will cost 2600. You can't put anything else in the container but that single car. Then you have to pay 40% in taxes for the car. then the bs paper work. That's how much it cost just to get it over. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to get a car through customs. They don't x-ray every container. If you're lucky they do less then 5% of the containers that come through.
 
3

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ultimate dream car, lol... Mine was RHD... of course, I was in England...
Anywho, about the question...
A friend wanted to import one back from England but couldn't, he called the DOT which I reccomend you do, and find out what to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,966 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:
I just talked to one of the workers from Rising Sun the other day about this (while waiting for the mk2's 6m). He said the powers that be are actually considering banning the importation of front clips because they could theoretically be welded on to US-spec cars.


Reasons why JDM cars can't easily be made legal in the states:

They lack the smog equipment US-spec cars have (EGR etc)
They often lack safety glass
They may have different strutural supports which would have to be crash-tested
They lack VIN's


The guy seemed pretty knowlegable about it, and he did have a legalized RHD Toyota Hilux chillin in the parking lot
I am from Fiji ISlands and i drove RHG. Its is the same guys. I find no difference at except for the fact that you change gears with your left hand, but that becomes non issue.
anyways...about banning the front clip....yes they did that in Fiji to beacuse importers were getting half cuts ( fron and rear) for minimal shipping and duty) and then welding them and selling the cars to locals as reconditions....

they found the cras were breaking in half virtually during annual inspections and stuff...and accidents were even deadlier.
 
Y

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hewey56 said:
Someone mentions a Right Hand Drive Supra, and all you can think about is having to get your ass out of the car next time you go to BK.
LOL thats what I was thinking
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top