Supra Forums banner

馃嚡馃嚨 MKIV or 馃嚭馃嚫 MKIV

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Super Moderator
The blocks are the same and the handling differences, if any, are determined by the option package/parts installed and have nothing to do with the steering wheel placement.

The turbos are different yes but there's tradeoffs. The Japanese spec turbos are CT20's with ceramic turbine wheels; while they're weaker and tend to fail when the boost is cranked way up, the turbine wheels themselves are slightly larger than the CT12B's found on the US spec 2JZ-GTE. So for max HP in the original housings the JDM turbos are better but they'll fail quickly. Using steel turbine wheels to rebuild them etc the Japanese spec turbos can make more HP than stock US spec turbos. But stock twins are a challenge to mess with and most folks replace all the parts that are different between the US spec and Japanese spec 2JZ-GTE.

You should do some reading on stock jdm vs stock usdm turbos, fuel systems, brakes, and b03b differential years. Otherwise, in terms of handling and block strength, they are literally the same car just different driving position.
For the most part, yes. The JDM Supras had a lot more option packages and different parts available. That's why there's so many JDM NA Supras (SZ model) that have no ABS, JDM TT (RZ model) that have small brakes and 16in wheels, etc. So getting a low optioned JDM Supra is typically inferior to most US spec Supras.

US cars were basically picking NA or TT, auto or manual, sport roof or hardtop, and picking a color. All US Supras had ABS, all US turbo cars had the bigger brakes and 17's and an LSD (the LSD became optional in the option list in US spec TT autos from 97-98 but I've never seen one that didn't have a factory LSD) etc etc.

Otherwise, yeah. JDM 2JZ-GTE's had somewhat less potent/long-lived turbos, smaller 440cc high imp injectors, a smaller intake cam, and a different ECU to match.

US 2JZ-GTE's had the CT12B turbos with steel turbine wheels, larger 550cc low imp injectors, a slightly bigger intake cam, and an ECU to match that included a MAFS instead of running MAP like a JDM ECU did.

Since most everyone changes the turbos, the fuel system, the cams, and the ECU; which engine you start with is largely irrelevant these days.

Registered
Most JDM cars are hard tops and an Aerotop JDM Supra is rarer. However i am led to belive in US terms it is the other way round.

the JDM option list is full of goodies that I dont belive were available on the US supras as per @Wreckless post where you only had a few choices to be made when ordering.

Another spec, is the EU/UK spec where they had other options to meet the driving conditions and Laws.

Super Moderator
Most JDM cars are hard tops and an Aerotop JDM Supra is rarer. However i am led to belive in US terms it is the other way round.

the JDM option list is full of goodies that I dont belive were available on the US supras as per @Wreckless post where you only had a few choices to be made when ordering.

Another spec, is the EU/UK spec where they had other options to meet the driving conditions and Laws.
This is correct.
JDM Hardtops - 29,822
JDM Aerotops - 1,766
USA Aerotops - 9,574
USA Hardtops - 1,899

(these numbers include all engine and transmission options)

EU spec was about 50/50 hardtops and aerotops of the ~1800ish delivered but I don't have those numbers in front of me right now.

Registered
if you just want a supra get a JDM one. its cheaper and just as fun. only USDM supra owners will give you flak.
the irony is that my RHD supra gets way more likes and attention than my LHD one.
Maybe its my mustache and not the car. I dunno.

Registered
I'd always take LHD when being in America, RHD always felt like a financial compromise. RHD had cooler options and specs though but I'm not a fan of the factory aero they come with

Registered
1993 JDM Supra RZ
I don鈥檛 give anybody flack, it鈥檚 their money lol. Just saying what I鈥檇 buy with my own money
Just thought it was funny that your comment came immediately after. And to be fair, I probably would have preferred a LHD car (turning left in traffic is a nightmare with RHD), but the price difference was so big I just couldn't justify it... especially since I knew I'd end up modifying the car and using it as my sort of daily driver.

Super Moderator
I'd always take LHD when being in America, RHD always felt like a financial compromise. RHD had cooler options and specs though but I'm not a fan of the factory aero they come with
My dude, RHD or LHD, it's still a Supra so both will pillage your wallet and shovel your money into a fire!

Registered
My dude, RHD or LHD, it's still a Supra so both will pillage your wallet and shovel your money into a fire!
The initial investment is usually different though, financially. I agree that the money vanishes regardless although all the local rhd Supras to me seem to get imported over and never messed with much

Registered
If I didn't have one, I'd just get a RHD auto, do the CD swap, and slap one of those sequential shifters on it.

Super Moderator
The initial investment is usually different though, financially. I agree that the money vanishes regardless although all the local rhd Supras to me seem to get imported over and never messed with much
I know what you're saying - LHD's tend to be more expensive. But really it's the same as it ever was. Before the 25 year threshold and especially before GTE swaps were 100% sorted out, it used to be cheap LHD NA's that dudes would put wheels on and cruise around and talk about going NA-T or GTE swapping. Now the RHD NA's are the cheap ones for dudes to leave JDM tyte or put wheels on and talk about GTE swapping. Nothing new under the sun, steering wheel's just on the other side.

That said, I've noticed that LHD owners who talk shit about RHD Supras are almost always talking shit from their boring ass pointless daily driver. Meaning they hardly ever drive their LHD Supra anyway. Especially the low-mile stock or near stock LHD Supras, maybe 1 in 10 of those are owned by an actual enthusiast, the rest are just overfunded pinky-up dick-sucks that saw the Barrett-Jackson numbers and wanted to catch the 'investment' elevator on the way up, and have a new car to discuss owning with other boring collectors at the next pinky-up odometer-reading circle jerk.
In all honesty most of those LHD cars might as well not exist. It's not like you'll ever see one at a local meet, or driving on a nice day, or actually being enjoyed as a car.

Meanwhile, most RHD Supra owners drive the shit out of their cars, even if it's a near stock NA auto. I like that.

Registered
I'll never understand leaving a car stock, and when you have a platform like the MKIV if it's not pushing north of 500whp then what the fuck are you doing with the car? Washing it? Is that a hobby? Washing stock cars?

Registered
I would say it depends on your budget and future goals. Back in the day, RHD was the way to go when you could get an RZ for 18k. Now, the prices are quite a bit higher. If you can afford a LHD, thats what I would recommend just due to the simplicity of not dealing with blind turns.

If you're on a stricter budget, going RHD can save you a ton of money. When it comes to parts, each has different discontinued parts which is weird. For example, you can still get brand new LHD dashs, but they're discontinued in RHD.

As for performance, I would argue that its negligible enough to not affect your decision.

Old School
I'll never understand leaving a car stock, and when you have a platform like the MKIV if it's not pushing north of 500whp then what the fuck are you doing with the car? Washing it? Is that a hobby? Washing stock cars?
While people are of course free to do what they want, you and I are in complete agreement.

Registered
I specifically bought my RHD supra to stay in line with my usual car buying habits. I never buy myself the nicest example of a car ( I also import and trade cars those are always nicer then my personal vehicles) because I tend to drive them a lot. My philosophy is to drive and enjoy a fun car everyday, Im averaging about 14000 kilometers a year on my mkiv right now, used to be 20000 but I got a new job with a way shorter commute. And I like the job, but miss the commute actually......

RHD for me is just easier to trash around in and truly make your own, plus its a really fun experience and for me adds even more uniqueness to the ownership experience. But unfortunately I am also a victim to the LHD snobbery, theres nothing you can do with these LHD owners who have ownend the car for 15 years and bought them at their absolute lowest price point for far less then even a RHD one costs these days. They are just stuck in their superiority complex even though they dont have the money to drive or modify their cars even though they ofcourse keep talking about doing their 600hp build like they have been for the past 15 years......... I fully agree with @Wreckless, especially these guys are the worst.

Most LHD Mk4 owners are like Mk3 owners in the sense that they both talk endlessy about buiding an driving their cars but lacking the means to actually do so.
It just that LHD mk4 owners are usually stuck up supremists who are to insecure to show their true colours and that Mk3 owners are actually really nice cool people who you can drink a beer with, as long as you pay for the beer ofcourse, they need the money to fix their monthly headgasket. ( all a bit tongue in cheek ofcourse, I have ownend two 2 mk3's and one mk4 so far)

Registered
I drive a RHD MKIV Supra from 2011 to 2017 ! I have my first drive in a LHD Supra MKIV around 2013 and i never want to go back to RHD.

So, in 2017 i buy my 1995 SE LHD and i never want to go back to RHD...maby for a ride with my friends car.

its more relaxing and i think the cockpit of a LHD fits me better... :D

...definitely choose a LHD Supra.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts