Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my car has had a check engine light on for a while, and after taking it to a local Toyota dealership, they couldn't figure it out. I recently had my car at goodyear and they checked it while they were aligning the car and immediately told me that the right telltale light assembly was bad. (Really Toyota? A Goodyear not even asked to find that figured it out...) Anyways, the people there said that Toyota USA doesn't even sell that part, so I guess I need to know first off what that actually is, and where I can buy one. Feel free to move this thread as I wasn't really sure where to post it. Any help will be appreciated because I just need to find one of these somewhere.

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
Isnt the right telltale light assembly this:
(the telltale set under the odometer)
It is the whole assembly (odo, telltale lights)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isnt the right telltale light assembly this:
(the telltale set under the odometer)
It is the whole assembly (odo, telltale lights)
I'm not sure which part of that needs replaced though, it says assembly, so maybe the wiring or plug behind it? or the bulbs, I'm not really sure what the part is and no idea where to find it.

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
I'm not sure which part of that needs replaced though, it says assembly, so maybe the wiring or plug behind it? or the bulbs, I'm not really sure what the part is and no idea where to find it.
Well if you look behind that top dash piece, its on with two screws, and its the assembly with the odo and light.
Maybe its gone bad? I do not think the wiring harness to it would be bad, maybe the board is fried, but I did not know that would bring up a CEL

Edit: wait for some more people to chime in, I want to be sure this can cause a CEL. If it is then you can probably find a used one on here for a good price. Only problem I can see is the odometer reading.
This:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I may take the dash apart tomorrow and see just to make sure it's all even hooked up because it's possible that when I had the dash off (a while ago) that I forgot a plug. The odometer does still read and count if that's what you mean.

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
Do the warning lights under the odo come on? (seatbelt, airbag, etc?) they should come on when they key is inserted and turned to acc I believe.
Do your turn signals or hazards work?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do the warning lights under the odo come on? (seatbelt, airbag, etc?) they should come on when they key is inserted and turned to acc I believe.
Do your turn signals or hazards work?
Yep, all those turn on when the key is in and my turns and hazards work.

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
Yep, all those turn on when the key is in and my turns and hazards work.
Then to be honest I doubt its the right telltale assembly.

Okay, did you check the check engine light yourself?
You should have something like this under the dash. (think by the hood latch)

Now follow this:
"The diagnostic trouble code can be read by the number of blinks of the malfunction indicator lamp when TE1 and E1 terminals on the data link connector 1 or 2 are connected. When 2 or more codes are indicated, the lowest number (code) will appear first."

Here is the whole thing and what the codes mean, it is really easy.
http://mkiv.com/techarticles/engine_codes/obd1_codes.html

Just get a wire or paperclip and stick in the two terminals bridging them

Edit: also does your big exclamation mark come on when the key is in acc?

Wait, is your car OBD2?
If so disregard what I just said.
Did they show you the code on the scanner?

I ask because I am not sure if obd2 was 1996, or cars after 1996. Always confuses me

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
Do you have 1998 tailights? If so, you need to install resistors in the module in the driver's rear panel. 1993-1996 models have a different module than 1997-1998.

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
Do you have 1998 tailights? If so, you need to install resistors in the module in the driver's rear panel. 1993-1996 models have a different module than 1997-1998.
I know that gets rid of the taillight warning light under the odo, but would it cause a CEL?

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,555 Posts
The telltale light assembly will not cause a CEL! Those guys at Goodyear may be good at installing tires, but they evidently don't know squat about Supras. OP, you've reported that nothing on the right telltale light assembly is inoperative. So that's not it.

1. Let's be clear: OP, which light exactly are you calling a "check engine light"? May be a dumb question, but let's be sure.
  2. If it really is the amber "check engine light" in the left telltale light assembly, then take the car to AutoZone and ask for a free reading. Report back here the exact error code numbers (not the AutoZone dude's interpretation of them).
  3. What other warning lights are on, if any, when the car is running?
  4. If you just turn the key to ON like SlackJaw suggested, do ALL of your telltale warning lights on both sides light up?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The telltale light assembly will not cause a CEL! Those guys at Goodyear may be good at installing tires, but they evidently don't know squat about Supras. OP, you've reported that nothing on the right telltale light assembly is inoperative. So that's not it.

1. Let's be clear: OP, which light exactly are you calling a "check engine light"? May be a dumb question, but let's be sure.
  2. If it really is the amber "check engine light" in the left telltale light assembly, then take the car to AutoZone and ask for a free reading. Report back here the exact error code numbers (not the AutoZone dude's interpretation of them).
  3. What other warning lights are on, if any, when the car is running?
  4. If you just turn the key to ON like SlackJaw suggested, do ALL of your telltale warning lights on both sides light up?
Let me check the ON position thing again, but yes the actual CEL on the left side is on and the red triangle warning light in the gauges is on. I believe when I first took it to Autozone they said it was the P0500 code for a possible bad vehicle speed sensor, but when I posted about that it seemed like my car showed none of the symptoms for that. The reason I left the CEL unattended all this time is because there are no problems with the actual car that show up. I will have them pull the codes again though and report back.

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
Let me check the ON position thing again, but yes the actual CEL on the left side is on and the red triangle warning light in the gauges is on. I believe when I first took it to Autozone they said it was the P0500 code for a possible bad vehicle speed sensor, but when I posted about that it seemed like my car showed none of the symptoms for that. The reason I left the CEL unattended all this time is because there are no problems with the actual car that show up. I will have them pull the codes again though and report back.
I think VSS would affect speedo reading, so would be hard to tell since the car itself may not act up

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,555 Posts
There is the whole VSS issue that affects the cruise control and sometimes the odometer. OP, does your cruise control work?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is the whole VSS issue that affects the cruise control and sometimes the odometer. OP, does your cruise control work?
My cruise control is very erratic, most of the time it does not work.

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
red alert red alert.
90% of the time the autozone scanner does not lie
If they pulled that code its safe to say begin troubleshooting vss

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
red alert red alert.
90% of the time the autozone scanner does not lie
If they pulled that code its safe to say begin troubleshooting vss
How should I start with 'troubleshooting' it? Just replace the sensor or what?

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,555 Posts
^Read up on the pink wire fix. Search for cruise control and odometer failures. I'd lay it out for you but I'm out of town and only have a few minutes to reply.

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts