Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
maximizing slip angles
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using the Rod Millen wing? If so, did you notice any improvement at the track? BY improvement I mean could you feel any difference in downforce??? I don't know if our stock wings do much...

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Stock wing is good for ~66lbs of downforce @ 90mph based on the new car features guide from Toyota. So it does something.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
You can get a higher angle of attack/more downforce with the RMM wing than stock. But unfortunately, due to the construction (slotted adjustment holes), it wont stay at maximum downforce. If it was built like the original TRD wing with adjustment holes, then it would work properly. If you have one already you may be able to put a spacer in the slots to prevent the wing from changing angles.

·
maximizing slip angles
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stock wing is good for ~66lbs of downforce @ 90mph based on the new car features guide from Toyota. So it does something.
thanks quick, I had no idea. I wonder what a GT3 RS wing provides? I tried looking on the porsche site and I couldn't find it...

Supra GTR: I didnt quite understand your post. Do you mean that once you adjust the wing it flexes at the adjustment points??

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
The method used by RMM to adjust the wing is by bolts through a slot. Unfortunately, the slot is not reinforced nor indented, so any if you tightened the nuts it will crack through the fiberglass. The pressure on the wing at maximum downforce is too high and will cause it to slide back down ripping the slots in the vertical portions.

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
While less sexy (to the general public) it could be you could get the extra downforce you're looking for by use of a rear diffuser. Of the few that are available for our cars (bolt-on) does anyone have data/impressions on how effective they are?

Using a splitter that helps keep are from getting under the car would be another area to consider, though getting one low enough makes the car nearly impossible to drive on the street (to/front track even). I'm still working on the design for one that is removable and attaches to the track/wheel trailer.

·
maximizing slip angles
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The method used by RMM to adjust the wing is by bolts through a slot. Unfortunately, the slot is not reinforced nor indented, so any if you tightened the nuts it will crack through the fiberglass. The pressure on the wing at maximum downforce is too high and will cause it to slide back down ripping the slots in the vertical portions.
I see what you mean. So you think that making some kind of spacer to put in the slots would help the wing stay at the adjustment point you choose...

cord4530, I think diffusers are very sexy but in order for them to work as they should doesn't the bottom of the car have to be completely flat?

·
TX2K7 roadrace champion
1,544 Posts
wow... i duno how i missed this

we went from the stock wing.. to a RMM nok off...

i made a aluminum bracket out of a flat aluminum peice.. the same size as the rectangle inside the wing supports. at the wing ends... then made just 2 holes in the metal.. one for the front part of the wing and one in the back.. for each side of the wing... its impossible for the wing to slide out of the position its in now...

its also tweeked pretty much WFO without being a air brake.....

it is a improvment over stock.... in 3rd gear.. i get more grip on power down... and in 4th.. the car actualy understeers just the slightest bit.. with plenty of grip on the rear... it never did that with the stock wing.....

i want to put a wicker lip on it also.. to get a little more....

i also have more ideas using the same peices the wing comes with... i like this wing alot.. it gives you alot of options to play with...

just take a look at mycarisvicuous's car

·
Pays Cash, No Questions
2,308 Posts
ur dum

im not listning to anything u say in the other threads from now on...
:1poke: :rofl:

Killing me. I liked the idea in which you spoke of modifiying the RMM wing. I may try that with the next car that I purchase later on. Do you happen to know where Curtis got his secondary wing - the one that sits on the actual hatch? I'm guessing that it's a Modellista piece?

·
Registered
785 Posts
You talking about the one thats double stick taped on? Curtis where art thou ?

Im thinking he said once he couldnt get them anymore

·
Pays Cash, No Questions
2,308 Posts
You talking about the one thats double stick taped on? Curtis where art thou ?

Im thinking he said once he couldnt get them anymore
Yeah, that's the one, unless there's a way to drill into the hatch where it mounts, and I wouldn't want to try to do that (drill into an angular area like that). If he can't get it, then I'm upset - I really want one.

·
TX2K7 roadrace champion
1,544 Posts
what wing double side tapes?

the rmm wing actualy does make a difference venem... i tested it...

·
maximizing slip angles
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the rmm wing actualy does make a difference venem... i tested it...
thanks for the replies. I am trying to figure out how hard-core I want to make the car...

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
If you want more downforce than the RMM and don't want to look like you're trying out for the JGTC, do what Lehman suggested and put a Gurney flap on the trailing edge of the RMM.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts