Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah i know i shoulda picked up a 6spd if i wanted to road race but the deal was pretty good so i had to go for it. I was just wondering has anyone tried it? Should i just stick to drag racing? Im not looking into bein the fastest guy out but its just more for fun.

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
I wouldn't let the fact that it's an auto stop you from road racing. Obviously you're going to give up quite a bit of control compared to a 6 speed car, but it also allows you to concentrate on acceleration, braking, and steering only. Give it a shot and see how you do. Supras aren't supposed to be drag cars! :D

Steve T. (likes to turn!)

balticMKIV said:
Yeah i know i shoulda picked up a 6spd if i wanted to road race but the deal was pretty good so i had to go for it. I was just wondering has anyone tried it? Should i just stick to drag racing? Im not looking into bein the fastest guy out but its just more for fun.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I remember reading in the May 94 issue of Motor trend when they had an automatic running a roadcourse.
http://www.mkiv.com/publications/motor_trend/5_94/mt594_08.jpg

The article said that the auto supra was running lap times nearly identical to the 6-speed version. But of course, that was stock auto to stock 6-speed. Things probably change with BPU.

I also think that you should get a tranny cooler before roadracing.

John B.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
My car (before I owned it) in barely BPU form and w/ just Eibach's spanked a whole host of tuner cars narrowly loosing 1st from a Viper in a Motor Trend article in Feb. '94.

I'm likely going to the roadcourse in January for the first time. Should be fun (and interesting too)

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
You can do pretty well with an Auto. Matt (inzanesupra) did it once in AZ and he was kicking ass. You'll have a good time Ryan.

I'm just confused as to why THE local Supra road race legend is not showing up for this event. The last time was too expensive but what's his excuse this time? Hope it's not me :rolleyes:

O

·
0 Posts
Mani -

Are you going to be joining us at OTC in May? There will be at least two Cali Supras there who already think they are KOSC, err King of SoCal. Both are in the :28-30 range at WS and I'm sure they wouldn't mind the team mate and/or convergence of Supra Big Dogs.

http://www.opentrackchallenge.com

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
OT Challenge said:
Mani -

Are you going to be joining us at OTC in May? There will be at least two Cali Supras there who already think they are KOSC, err King of SoCal. Both are in the :28-30 range at WS and I'm sure they wouldn't mind the team mate and/or convergence of Supra Big Dogs.

http://www.opentrackchallenge.com

I was in that site many times checking things out. I can't make any time for an event during week days. I'd love to chame and check this out if I get a chance though.

O

·
0 Posts
Definitely stop by. We aren't charging folks to spectate but I think both Willows will hit you for $10 at the gate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts