Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here do road course racing with their MKIII?? a friend of my dad's has a volkswagon scirroco that he race, and i got a chance to ride in it, and god damn that thing was awesome and it certainly isnt as fast a MKIII. this experience got me interested in road racing as i havent really been that interested in drag racing before. if anyone has any tips on what it takes to get good with racing like that, or if anyone knows of any schools (seen some on tv somewhat) that teach high speed racing technique, please post!!
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
That and autox are my interests.

My car is being prepped for both.

Dont even get me started about drifting or drag racing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Start w/ autox or driving schools. Your local PCA or BMW club typically put on very good schools. Also check www.drivingevents.com

And don't worry much about what car you have, its 90% technique/skill. Concentrate on learning the basics (i.e. braking, turn-in, apex, track-out, etc.). After you've mastered the basics, focus on car control/advanced techniques (heel/toe, trail braking, lift throttle oversteer, etc. etc. etc.). Once you've got a good handle on all of that and you've got a fair amount of seat time, then start to think about your car/setup (don't worry about HP until you've learned most everything else). My personal opinion is that a low HP FWD w/ good brakes is the best car to start with. It takes tremendous skill to drive a fwd fast. Also, low HP forces you to maintain momentum, which is really what you are trying to learn. High HP right off the bat tends to derail learing of the important stuff.

Good Luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Oh, one more thing. My comment above is how I would approach learning about high performance driving. Racing is MUCH different than learning to drive well. A long-time racer/friend of mine that I have much respect for gave me the best advice I've ever heard. After a number of years of driving schools, instructing, helping in the pits, etc., I told him that I was thinking about building a race. His comment, if you are serious about racing, the first thing I recommend you do is buy a printing press so you can print your own money.
 

·
Beat the hell outta tu!!
Joined
·
1,061 Posts
Wow... this is a good topic. Road racing is a blast, but it is usually one of the most difficult forms of racing to get into because of the availability of events and the associated costs. With that being said I would definately recommend that you look into autocrossing. The availabiltiy of events is much greater, and the costs are typically much lower. Anyone can autocross in any car... that is one of the things that makes it so appealing. Also, it will help improve your driving skills very similar to how you would in a road race enviornment.

Now... setting up the car for autox and road racing... thats a whole different thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,907 Posts
If you really want to race, I would put your money into you and not the car. Paying for new tires/brakes/maintaince will cost enough. You will get the most seat time that way. Unfortunately, the Mk3 doesn't fit into any competitive entry-level road racing classes because SCCA doesn't like forced induction vehicles. So you probably would be looking at Time trials or track days.

There is some hope in NASA though, if you have a group in your area. NASA is also pretty good about creating new classes so if you had the time/organizational skills you could create a new class for your region. I looked into making a class for '80-92 turbocharged Japanese rear-drive imports but there is a lot to work out (allowable modifications that will "level the playing feild") etc
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,409 Posts
ive never been autox, just lapping days and time trials, its tons of fun, but costly, 30 minutes on the track on a boosted 7m is not fun (probably because of my shitty worksmanship lol), not to mention the brakes and tires the car will eat because of the weight. brake fade sucks :(. I think my supra would get owned in autox? how do you guys fair? Because theres a vw dealership that does autox i was thinking of going... My cars pretty much setup for high speed handling tho.

I dont wanna say i hate drag racing, its fun from time to time, but theres too much emphasis on it on these forums... Drift is fun too, but it has no real world application other than learning to control you car and in it really helps to know if you rally race/live in the North :)

Ang
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,409 Posts
yep built them myself, cut into the metal plate thing on the back of the rotor. using the fog holes now, but will relocate for lip vents soon, because i like foglights... i have organic pads though and i think thats the problem... I daily drive the car though so all out racing pads are not an option for me...

Ang
 

·
Beat the hell outta tu!!
Joined
·
1,061 Posts
SuprAng said:
I think my supra would get owned in autox? how do you guys fair?
I placed 7th out of 24 in my class (SSM) in the last event that I did. The 6th placed guy beat me by .01 seconds!! :mad: and the top 3 drivers in the class cosistantly place in nationals competitions every year. So I think I did pretty good.

The key is to have good power, but not too much of it. The nature of any turbo car is to have a very peaky power band. If you are running a setup that gives you 100hp in less than 500 rpm's you are going to have a very tough time controlling the car on a tight autox course. I have my car set so that the stock turbo spools as fast as it can but doesnt yield a ton of peak horsepower. This gives the widest and most linear powerband which is most easily controlled. Stock CT @ 11psi, full exhaust, intake, spearco IC + minor suspension and brake mods is a very mananagable and fun autocross setup. I will soon be adding even more suspension...

Who cares if you really get owned though? The point is that you're out there having fun, and becoming a better driver in the process. What is really cool is when you start out autocrossing, and you rank in the last quarter of your class almost every time... then a few years go by, car is still basically the same, and your consistently placing inside the top 10 in your class. You know you are getting better the more you drive.. now that is a great feeling.

Here is a funny story that happened to me at an event about 2 months ago. I convinced my friend Ryan who has a stock '03 Lexus IS300 to come out to an event. He had never done any kind of performance driving before. I coached him some, and we both did our 4 timed runs. He sucked as any newbie should, and I did pretty good in my MK3. After the event was over they opened up the track for fun runs, and Ryan let me take his Lexus for a few laps. On my first lap I ran 1 second slower than the fastest time I had run in my car, and on the second lap I beat my fastest time by almost 2 seconds!!!!! :eek: :eek:
That car was soooo smooth though... almost perfectly balanced. Just goes to show what you can do in a slower car with a damn good suspension.
 
Joined
·
3,796 Posts
Ive only been autocrossing once and it was a blast. I highly recommend it. I plan on going a lot next year. It should be pretty interesting because the first time I went my only mods where a K&N and front strut tower bar and now Ill be pushing 350rwhp w/ stock brakes, shitty tires and only aftermarket struts. Ill probably end up turning the boost down. I really need to invest in sway bars and better brakes.
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
anyone who is interested in affordable, adjustable upper control arms, raise your hands, as they are about to go into production through DGtrials

any more ideas for bolt on road racing parts, feel free to post suggestions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
945 Posts
Of course, are these units going to give us back some camber in addition to more aggressive setups, or take it away like the JIC units do...?


Bob
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
we are planning to build an adjustable arm that will allow you to set the camber back to 0 when a car is lowered, thus eliminating the lower control arm frozen bushing problem, as well as add negative camer, as the jic arms do.

FYI, jic only makes a front control arm setup, as far as i know. we are in the works of building an adjustable rear upper control arm from scratch, and using the JIC front arm as a model, but building an arm for the front that will allow camber to be added, or taken away.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
2,279 Posts
terrible tO4e said:
we are planning to build an adjustable arm that will allow you to set the camber back to 0 when a car is lowered, thus eliminating the lower control arm frozen bushing problem, as well as add negative camer, as the jic arms do.

FYI, jic only makes a front control arm setup, as far as i know. we are in the works of building an adjustable rear upper control arm from scratch, and using the JIC front arm as a model, but building an arm for the front that will allow camber to be added, or taken away.
Progress?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,409 Posts
SupraMK3 said:
I placed 7th out of 24 in my class (SSM) in the last event that I did. The 6th placed guy beat me by .01 seconds!! :mad: and the top 3 drivers in the class cosistantly place in nationals competitions every year. So I think I did pretty good.

The key is to have good power, but not too much of it. The nature of any turbo car is to have a very peaky power band. If you are running a setup that gives you 100hp in less than 500 rpm's you are going to have a very tough time controlling the car on a tight autox course. I have my car set so that the stock turbo spools as fast as it can but doesnt yield a ton of peak horsepower. This gives the widest and most linear powerband which is most easily controlled. Stock CT @ 11psi, full exhaust, intake, spearco IC + minor suspension and brake mods is a very mananagable and fun autocross setup. I will soon be adding even more suspension...

Who cares if you really get owned though? The point is that you're out there having fun, and becoming a better driver in the process. What is really cool is when you start out autocrossing, and you rank in the last quarter of your class almost every time... then a few years go by, car is still basically the same, and your consistently placing inside the top 10 in your class. You know you are getting better the more you drive.. now that is a great feeling.

Here is a funny story that happened to me at an event about 2 months ago. I convinced my friend Ryan who has a stock '03 Lexus IS300 to come out to an event. He had never done any kind of performance driving before. I coached him some, and we both did our 4 timed runs. He sucked as any newbie should, and I did pretty good in my MK3. After the event was over they opened up the track for fun runs, and Ryan let me take his Lexus for a few laps. On my first lap I ran 1 second slower than the fastest time I had run in my car, and on the second lap I beat my fastest time by almost 2 seconds!!!!! :eek: :eek:
That car was soooo smooth though... almost perfectly balanced. Just goes to show what you can do in a slower car with a damn good suspension.
just read this, thanks for advice man, i actual entered a local event with my toyota sc400, it was a lot of fun (supra was down), much much cheaper than going on a road course, i came in like 12th of 25, my friend got 3rd in his corrado... Youre right its def. fun just to go, IM positive my supra will be more fun! Esp being manual :)... Cant complain tho the all motor v8 was excellent for power, def showed me how to handle that car better at lower speeds!

Ang
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top