Supra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
320 Posts
Start w/ autox or driving schools. Your local PCA or BMW club typically put on very good schools. Also check www.drivingevents.com

And don't worry much about what car you have, its 90% technique/skill. Concentrate on learning the basics (i.e. braking, turn-in, apex, track-out, etc.). After you've mastered the basics, focus on car control/advanced techniques (heel/toe, trail braking, lift throttle oversteer, etc. etc. etc.). Once you've got a good handle on all of that and you've got a fair amount of seat time, then start to think about your car/setup (don't worry about HP until you've learned most everything else). My personal opinion is that a low HP FWD w/ good brakes is the best car to start with. It takes tremendous skill to drive a fwd fast. Also, low HP forces you to maintain momentum, which is really what you are trying to learn. High HP right off the bat tends to derail learing of the important stuff.

Good Luck.

· Registered
320 Posts
Oh, one more thing. My comment above is how I would approach learning about high performance driving. Racing is MUCH different than learning to drive well. A long-time racer/friend of mine that I have much respect for gave me the best advice I've ever heard. After a number of years of driving schools, instructing, helping in the pits, etc., I told him that I was thinking about building a race. His comment, if you are serious about racing, the first thing I recommend you do is buy a printing press so you can print your own money.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.