Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GarageDynamics.com
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems thrilling, I just wanted to know the rules that would apply if you just went one day, not in a competition or anything. The idea of road racing sounds so fun. I know for the event and competition part there are guidelines which I have here, but I would like some more info about Illinois area road tracks. It seemed that some people can just show up if its not an organized event, and drive. Any helpful information would be appreciated.

thanks,
X

·
3,148 Posts
Check out your local BMW or Porsche club. These clubs typically have driving events. You can also go to TrackSchedule.com this has a listing of a lot of the events.

Later, Steve

L

·
0 Posts
Typically, no, you can't just show up and drive at a race track that isn't organized.

Some race tracks have testing days, where race cars will come and do testing/tuning days, and these days aren't organized at all, but you do have to preregister.

Otherwise, you go with an organization (NASA, Open Track, SCCA, Touring Car Club, etc) or club (BMW, Porsche, Club Z). Clubs sometimes require a membership. Different parts of the country have different organizations and different clubs, but you can pretty much garrentee that where ever you are, you're always going to bump into a BMW and/or Porsche club. Good luck, and have fun!

W

·
0 Posts
Since you're in the Chicago area, check out the Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs. They hold track days and Solo I-type autocrosses. Just be aware that you'll need a 5-point harness and a Snell SA-rated helmet. And, you'll be classed with Ferraris, Vipers, and ZR-1s. Particularly a certain ZR-1 driven by a NASCAR driver...
http://www.mcscc.org

As soon as I get my car prepared, I plan on getting to their events.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Depends on the event. Gingerman has open track sessions once in a while where you pay your $130-150 and get a ton of track time. They also have instructors available for the first timers and lots and lots of run off room. You don't need to have a harness, but helmet is a must. For Midwestern Counsil you need a harness, though.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I just got done doing my first driving school at the roadcoarse in Kershaw SC. I have to say that it was the coolest thing i have ever done!! I definantly reccomend everyone (no matter what you drive) to do these schools. I can't wait to see what it's like in a TT supra. Have fun and be safe!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts