Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone.
I have not done much on the car since I dropped this entertaining bombshell The latest of my insanity, home made hood!
Since then it got hectic with my degree, then jobs, getting married, having a kid, then a second kid...etc. Basically, life took over for a minute.
Nine years later, I'm picking up where I left off. My objective is to develop a time attack car. The car is not street-driven anymore (although it's still registered). My approach is to start from the front and work my way to the back in the development process. I'm going to avoid making compromises regarding street vs track use. If any, the scale will be tipped heavily in favor of track use.
My plan is do a full iteration to address any mechanical modifications related to Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel System...etc. Then, address Suspension and Chassis. And Finally, address my Aero (BIG PLANS HERE).

I'd like to use this thread for record keeping and a motivation for me to continue the development.

Here's how it was;

So.....

Let's DO THIS

I've already put the car under the knife and started with:
  • Rebuilding the turbo.
  • Port matching the exhaust manifold to the head ports (you won't believe how bad the ports were mismatched). I'm going to try to find pictures.
  • Welded a 90ish degree elbow to my compressor housing (welding dirty aluminum is a pain..)
  • Added a 1.5:1 Steering Quickener

I will update as I go.

Reactions: Mr Ree NZ

Super Moderator
Hell yes!
Welcome back and I can't wait to see what's in store! :D 馃嵑

Reactions: madmax98

2007 FSAE World Champion
I am also excited to see your progress. I am sure you are familiar with the Soarer that Bando is running but it might be a great reference for ideas on your build.

Reactions: madmax98

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.
I'm definitely excited to take on this challenge as I'm much better equipped now than before.

For entertainment purposes... Here's what I did to celebrate my latest newborn (you can see the SC in the back hahaha)

Reactions: Wreckless

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am also excited to see your progress. I am sure you are familiar with the Soarer that Bando is running but it might be a great reference for ideas on your build.

Bando and Suzuki's cars are my favorite WTAC cars.

I see you were involved in FSAE... Cal Poly graduate here.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AC Condenser is out. A LOT of dirt gets trapped between the condenser and radiator (can't even see the fins anymore...see below)

NEXT... All Engine Bay Wiring will be re-done...

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the process, I also cut out the cross radiator support to prepare for forward-leaning radiator.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Decided to relocate the Fuse Box inside the cabin.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which then meant.... taking out the AC/Heater crap

Man... this is gonna get ugly...

Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
Hey if you remove it all, there isn't any clutter :D
Race vehicle anyway right ?
Gut it ! :D

Registered
Well this certainly looks like fun... on the optimistic side, committing to a track focused build is a lot easier and somewhat less stressful than trying to walk the tight rope that is a street / track car.

On that note, I think the best mod I did under my car was the OS Giken diff. SO much easier to drive than when it was stock, and I've never had an issue putting power down. Keeping tires under it, perhaps, but only in small lot autocross events.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Merry Christmas everyone...

Pancakes from scratch to start my day lol

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey if you remove it all, there isn't any clutter :D
Race vehicle anyway right ?
Gut it ! :D
haha yeah I'm taking out the clutter alright... stay tuned.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well this certainly looks like fun... on the optimistic side, committing to a track focused build is a lot easier and somewhat less stressful than trying to walk the tight rope that is a street / track car.

On that note, I think the best mod I did under my car was the OS Giken diff. SO much easier to drive than when it was stock, and I've never had an issue putting power down. Keeping tires under it, perhaps, but only in small lot autocross events.
@te72 The OS Giken DIff has been on my list for a few years now lol Hoping to get it in the next few months...

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AC Crap is out....

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Current state of affairs

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Trying to keep the factory wiring is futile ... ditching the harness

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Making a template for center vents plate, which will hold my gauges. The plate will be made out of Carbon Fiber.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And Port-matched my head... intake side.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 60 Posts