Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Your ignorance...
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I've been into Supra's a few years, but I've been a mkii guy, so I don't know much about mkiii's, 7m's, and turbo's. That said...

I just got an 88 Turbo, Targa, Automatic. I'm picking up the car Saturday. I was told it has a bhg, possible cracked head. After talking with the owner, he said that the #6 rod bearing was making noise as well. I'm pulling the motor to do the hg, freshen up gaskets/hoses, check things out in general, etc... How do I check this bearing problem? What else should I look for? Is it worth pulling the motor, or is there any way to accomplish this all w/o pulling it? I know hg replacement is obviously doable in-car, but I was told that it is much easier outside. If they are like mkii's, I can do engine swaps in my sleep. Also, space on the mkii is limited and I've done hg's in there and swore I would never do it again, and I didn't have a turbo to worry about either.

So forgive my mkiii 'newbie-ness', and thanks for the help in advance.

·
Señor Member
4,741 Posts
If it's a rod bearing, you are going to want to look at a complete rebuild. Usually the signs of a bad bearing are low oil pressure and a woodpecker knocking that increases with RPM. Normally it's loudest when reving slowly above 2k and up through 3.5k. You've got 2 options at this point - rebuild or replace. It really depends on how much experiance you have building motors. I'd probably suggest you just pull the motor, tear it down and inspect it. Inspect all bearing and journals for damage. If the bearings look good, use Plastigauge to check your clearances when you put it all back together. For the head gasket, I'd recommend resurfacing the head and block and replacing with a MHG.

·
Your ignorance...
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, it's half torn apart, so I can't hear it run for myself, only going on what the seller tells me.
I've done hg's, oil pans, valves, etc (easy stuff) but never gone into a bottom end before. I have a 7mgte, basically a short block, that I've been sitting on a while, was going to turbo the mkii, but never got around to it. I may just crack that open and swap, but I've heard there are differences in the pre and post 88 motors. I have no idea what my spare is. What will that matter?

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
the motors themselves are virtually identical. However, the ecu and some supporting sensors changed in the later years. Any 7mgte will work in any other car with a 7mgte

Im sure that you can figure out an engine rebuild. I would just plan on doing a complete overhaul of the engine and removing a bunch of the extra bullshit that comes with emissions etc while you have the engine out. This will give you a good chance to have a fresh car to start.

I wouldnt pay over 1000 for the car though

·
Your ignorance...
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:freak:
Half that.....
Worth it, the body looks pretty nice. I'll let you all know when I get it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts