Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello want to see what you guys say about this,
I have a JDM GTE with 80k miles on it very healthy motor. Started her up and seemed okay, reved the engine from 1500-2200 and heard a almost knocking sound coming from the Exhaust cam side of the motor almost in between my turbos and cams. Only does it between those RPM's anything more and the sound goes away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhK1CVbH84M&feature=youtu.be
What do you guys think?
Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hard to say just from a video. You'll get dozens of different theories from people on here. Diagnose it yourself or have a qualified Toyota tech look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Did you let the car warm up?

I started my car last week in this cold and it sounded similar for a few seconds till the oil warmed up. I let it idle for a few minutes and sounds fine.

I'm sure it's crazy cold in Calgary right now..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you let the car warm up?

I started my car last week in this cold and it sounded similar for a few seconds till the oil warmed up. I let it idle for a few minutes and sounds fine.

I'm sure it's crazy cold in Calgary right now..
Yep car is fully warm when the video was taken, anything higher rpm it went away like everything is fine, starting to wonder if its my Tbelt tensioner dont know the last time that it was changed. Its been double digits in Calgary all week or the car wouldnt be out!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yep car is fully warm when the video was taken, anything higher rpm it went away like everything is fine, starting to wonder if its my Tbelt tensioner dont know the last time that it was changed. Its been double digits in Calgary all week or the car wouldnt be out!
Higher rpm means higher oil pressure. Personally I'd drop the pan and check the bearings to be safe. If you catch a knock early it doesn't cost you a crank and a rod.

·
Registered
438 Posts
remove the coil wire from each cylinder one at a time ... rev the engine ... if the knock disappears you've located the cylinder. If the knock doesn't disappear it's not a rod.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm gonna drip and strain the oil and see. It's low rpms though only not high so I think oil pressure is okay, gauges are all in the clear no lights on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts