Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Matthew 6:33
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting on the fence on whether to stay 7MGTE or go the 1J route. Went to a shop that does the swaps and rode in a 1J Cressida running 13 psi of boost on stock twins but upgraded downpipe and intercooler. Cressida is about 250 lbs lighter than my MKIII. To be honest, I was not impressed. Very flat and kinda boring. Torque was just not there, so I am definatley staying 7M.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
lol... dude, you need to come ride in our car

when these turbos spool up, it sits you back in the seat. MK3's are really known to squat, but htis car squats pretty well and the nose jumps in the air when the turbos spool.

we are only making 307rwhp and 296 torque... compared to my friends 7M making 296rwhp and 316 torque, the power feels better in the 1J, it hits alot more sharply in our car.

how far are you from the tampa area?

EDIT; the power is "Flat", the torque comes on and doesnt drop off like alot of 7Ms do in the top end

·
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am about 3 hours. Meet me in Orlando sometime? I am at the cross-roads on where I am going with my Supra. Are you running stock twins or single?

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
orlando would be cool.

we have stock twins on STOCK boost, no boost control.

HKS filter, custom 3" Dp and exhaust and my tuning. there is more room for extra power here, we have not yet begun to pull power from this ;)

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Jonezy, your power number and curve seem just right... was that with the "Dr. Jones" MBC or an EBC?

my friends car has similar numbers, 296/316, but the torque shot up to 316 on initial spoolup,a nd then smooth back out to the 300's... he has no boost control and i think it was spiking.

btw, ours is 12psi creeping to 14 in the top end... we have yet to see what 14psi does in the mid range ;)

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Im glad you dont like the 1jz... that means thier are less 1jz's on the road.... thus making the 1jz owners more rare. STAY 7M!

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Yep... worst motor ever ^

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
Agreed.. I mean you cant even get a 1J to pull up a hill in 3rd gear, and my god it takes my 1J for ever to rev to 8000.. Its just sad I tell you.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
dont listen to this guy, hes just bitter about putting down 96rwhp with his 1JZ... lol

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
I feel ya matt. I have to use 1st gear to even go up a little hill, or else the lack of torque just makes the car stop. im very dissapointed... I should just get a honda.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
flubyux2 said:
Jonezy, your power number and curve seem just right... was that with the "Dr. Jones" MBC or an EBC?

my friends car has similar numbers, 296/316, but the torque shot up to 316 on initial spoolup,a nd then smooth back out to the 300's... he has no boost control and i think it was spiking.

btw, ours is 12psi creeping to 14 in the top end... we have yet to see what 14psi does in the mid range ;)
that's still not actually a perfect pwr curve, read this for the explination:

http://www.speedtoys.com/~stryder/72701dyno.html

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
its a good curve, but not "Perfect" i admit... i think the cams are still holding it back in the top end.

·
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am not bashing the 1J, I was just expecting more...that is all. I am still considering the 1J for overall reliability as a daily driver, but I think cams and a single will be required. The shop does really clean installs and the guys there were very helpful.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
flubyux2 said:
its a good curve, but not "Perfect" i admit... i think the cams are still holding it back in the top end.
eh. for the graph i posted, it's the 2 psi boost drop that's making the tq drop look so bad. i do agree that on the stock turbo, the 7M does start wheezing out @ the top end.....but i attribute that to the puny turbine/housing. here's my most "recent" (1.5 yrs old!) dyno graph:

note that the tq doesn't fall off nearly as bad.....and that's w/the SP57's "puny" turbine + housing + stock cams....

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,147 Posts
1jz is a great engine but don't be fooled that it has gobs of torque down low because...

If you look at this it will make you cry.

Look at the RPM where i hit 407 tq.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.