Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning up my car and put some silcone spray on my roof bolt threads that stick up from the car. I don't know what the heck happened, but the next day, every bolt was stuck. Really stuck. I didn't tighten them a whole lot, and only with a stubby rachet. Anyway, I tried to get them out with a huge rachet, both hands, and none of them would budge. I then put a long pipe on the rachet and was able to get 3 bolts out, by not the forth - the front passenger side. I then tried a small impact wrench and that wouldn't even take it out. I tried the rachet+pipe again and finally put so much torque that the allen-socket broke in half, inside the hex hole in the roof bolt. The allen part of the socket broke off diagonal inside the hole and I can't seem to get it out no matter what. And even if I do, I think the hex hole is too screwed up to take the bolt out. Am I screwed?? I heard the roof is a real pain to take apart, and I don't even know if it's possible when it's still on the car.

I don't have any great ideas except maybe get a diamond bit and destroy the broken tool and bolt. And even then I'm not sure if that'll free the bolt. Plus I don't know how I'd even fix it at that point.

I was just hoping someone might have run into this, or at least taken apart their roof and have some hints?? I have no idea what the middle of the bolt looks like and I'm not sure grinding off the head will free it.

· Banned
91 Posts
Jesus, that doesn't sound like silicone spray, more like loctite. ;)

Seriously though if needed go to your local hardware store and buy a stripped bolt kit. You have the right idea of drilling out the stuck allen key. You need a hole so as to screw in the bolt extractor. I have never had a bolt (of that size) not come out with an extractor. It basically looks like a reverse thread drill bit and gets tighter as you try to remove/loosen the stuck fastener.

Once you have it out drop the head liner down a bit and then you can access the two bolts that remove the mounting hardware. Order a new piece from Toyota and get yourself back on the road.

Hope that helps. -Techno

· ELITECUSTOMBODY
7,365 Posts
I'd be careful, you can break the nut off the backing plate that is inside the targa,if you do that, you're SOL ,and will end up cutting the targa open so you can grab on the loose nut while trying to remove the bolt, a few drops of anti-seize would go long way, keep silicone far away where it belongs

Stefan

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, thanks for the tips, guys. I'll have to play with it this weekend. Sounds like it is going to be pita most likely. Yeah, I don't know what is up with that silicone spray I used. Never woulda guessed... I swear I put so much torque on that stupid bolt trying to get it loose - too much, obviously. Oh well.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By the way, just wanted to let you guys know it went very smoothly. Thanks for the help. I called up Curt & Elmhurst and he sent me the part I needed no problem. It was fairly cheap too - only $15 or so with the discount. The local Toyota dealership told me it wasn't even possible to order that part! Anyway, I was unscrewed both visors, both clips, couple screws in the overhead light, and pulled down the trim piece that was sort of snapped in place... then unscrewed the cover for the bolt assembly piece...then carefully drilled out the bolt up until where the threads started. Roof came right off no problem. I was expecting the threaded part of the bolt to be stuck in the roof, so I had my tap & dye set out... but it unscrewed by hand very easily. So I guess the bolt was stuck in the middle, on the contact surface, where it tapers. Anyway, I put everything back together in reverse and that was it. Probably took an hour or less, so really no big deal, nothing to be afraid of like I thought. =) No more silicone spray lol...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.