Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market to buy some new rotors. I was going to buy the PowerSlot rotors, but my friend told me not to. He said the rotors on the supra need to be resurfaced everytime you change breakpads, and with the slotted, the rotor would wear out too fast. He said to stick with the stock rotor becuase it can be resurfaced without losing performance. Can someone give me some information on what to do here? Thanks!

·
3,148 Posts
Actually rotors on a Supra will typically need to be replaced each time you put on a new set of pads. Unless you are running on a roadcourse with stock pads (which wears them out very quickly). You won't gain anything with the crossdrilled rotors (except for looks), but you won't hurt anything either.

Later, Steve

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Stock rotors are going to be better than crappy PowerSlots. Stock rotors have curved viens which helps air flow into the rotors, PowerSlots have straight viens which are much less efficient.

A lot of people swear by the stock brakes, but I have Stillen X-Drilled rotors and am very happy with them. Their pads suck, but rotors are Toyota rotors precision drilled. I get a lot of complements on the brakes, so they are both functional and visaully attractive.

I also just resurfaced them with no problems.

Brembo's make rotors and you might be able to get them cheaper than Stillens, I'm not sure but I assume that they have curved viens.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have Brembo cross-drilled, and they do indeed have curved veins. I know, because I had to swap them after I noticed I had them on the wrong sides.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so what you guys are saying is that those expensive brembo brake rotoers need to be replaced every time you replace pads... why and is there any to not need to do thsi...

I just got my 94 tt and I am going to be getting X-drilled rotoers.. any recommendations (price vs. performance) or should I just resurface the stocks and get good pads..

also.. what pads do you guys recoomend

also.. again.. what brake fluid do you recommend for 60% street / 40% performance

Thanks!!

·
3,148 Posts
I cost is a concern than I would stick with stock rotors. You want get any real performance advantage from the cross-drilled.

I would stick with the stock Toyota pads. It has good intial bite when cold and actually holds up pretty well to full roadcourse use. I have run stock pads and Porterfield R4's (on the roadcourse) and I have went back to using the stock pads. The S4's are better, but I can get stock front pads for about $45 so it's very inexpensive to replace them. I get around 350 miles on the roadcoure out of a stock set of pads so it's pretty economical. I will be changing to an upgraded Brembo brake kit, so I guess my days of cheap brakes are over. :)

I would use Motul 600 for brake fluid, it's an all around great product.

Later, Steve

·
We has your money!
576 Posts
asdf

I have brembo rotors and I was wondering what pads have the least amount of brake dust..I dont do road courses or nothing so performance of the pads isnt too big of an issue..I just want to eliminate as much brake dust as possible

·
3,148 Posts
Sorry I can't help you. I have always bought brake pads for how well they stop the car not how much dust they create. I'm just funny like that. :D

Just couldn't resist.

Later, Steve

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see your concern with brake dust.. I totally agree... I also dont like that dust esepcially on nice wheels...

Im in the same shoes he is.. I enjoy running throught the canyons once in a while, but mainly Im a street driver...

what pads/rotors would work best??

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Slotted rotors wear out too fast? Hmmm, don't know what your friend was thinking. It doesn't make sense. I have stock rotors that were slotted by the shope that does work on my car. Slots are suppose to have more "leading edge" and "wipe" the pads a little better. Can I for a fact tell the difference, no but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I just can't quantify it. It is my understanding from some prior discussions that drilling a cast rotor increases the liklihood of cracking the rotor when it gets hot.
Barry H. 94ttsupra

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't buy the EBC Kevlar pads, I bought them for my wife's Audi A6 and they dust just as bad as the stockers, which is a lot! They are noisy too!

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
i have power slots on my stealth r/t turbo and they work great :rolleyes: if you dont plant on stoping :mad: got these over a year ago and it was the worst thing i ever got for ant car!

but they sure look nice too bad they dont work as good as they look!

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
Okay, here's my question:

The Stillen rotors seem to be the best bet. Stock curved-vein rotors, precision cross-drilled for looks. Are they available WITHOUT the ghetto-gold plating? I want the cadium finish of the Powerslots. Anyone?

I wish Baer would come out with a nice setup...

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
FYRARMS said:
Okay, here's my question:

The Stillen rotors seem to be the best bet. Stock curved-vein rotors, precision cross-drilled for looks. Are they available WITHOUT the ghetto-gold plating? I want the cadium finish of the Powerslots. Anyone?

I wish Baer would come out with a nice setup...
The "ghetto gold plating" is a cadnium finish that is applied to the whole rotor to keep the "hub" etc. from rusting. But is wears off of the braking surface within a few 100 miles.

Here's my Stillen Rotors after a severe beating:

For the record, the type of pads will determine how fast rotors wear out, and Stillen pads, don't dust much, but they Blow!

If you decide you want the Stillen rotors, email me privately, and I'm pretty sure I can save you some $$$ on them over anybody else.

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
Hey, thanks Ryan! They look good when anti-ghettoed. :D I'll email you when I get them!

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
Suggestions for places to get good prices on stock rotors? I need the rears and so far I have:

Local Dealer: $135
Jay Marks: $94
Toyotaparts.com: $79

Know of any better places?

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
www.Toyotaparts.com no such link!

Ubermensch said:
Suggestions for places to get good prices on stock rotors? I need the rears and so far I have:

Local Dealer: $135
Jay Marks: $94
Toyotaparts.com: $79

Know of any better places?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So what pads and rotors do you guys recommend for high performance street application..

I want the look of the cross drills.. but if I get better performance / longevity of other pads and roters I would get that

Thanks for your help

1 - 20 of 29 Posts