Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
NiGHTS said:

- Square...Ya, I have 2 Supra's...an '83 MK2 and a '95 MK4 TT. :D

Love them both, but most of the time I'm trying to get the MK2 to run as perfect as possible...it's become sort of like a hobby fixing it up ever since I got the MK4...The MK2 was my very first car and I've kept it even though I got a MK4 years later...I guess I have too much love for it! :eek: :p

Oh, I didn't realize you meant 230 miles...far out! That's almost double mine! Soooo much...it's good to see she's still going strong! That gives me hope for my car...lol...I hope she is alive and kicking after 400,000km's...well done!

Such a reliable car though...Toyota Rock!
Totally Agree! My Mk2 has definitely made me a believer in Toyota quality. As for your Mk2 hobby, I am right there with you! My Mk2 was also my first car (acquired August 1989). I love the Vette, but I just drive it, I don't play with it. I have no fear of dismantleing the Supra, but the Vette makes me nervous! I am sure I will get over that in time, but for now, I just polish it and drive it. I am envious of your Mk4 though. Man those things are sweet! I would work on getting one of those next, but I foresee Mk4 prices falling slowly, and the 70-72 Vettes are climbing steadily, so I need to work on that project next! :D
As for the mileage, yeah, she has held up well. I will need to do an engine swap or rebuild at some point, but that is down the road a bit. I think you can expect your 5M to go at least 320,000 km, and with a car loving owner (such as yourself) 400K shouldn't be a big deal. I will try to get some video of my Supra starting and idleing once I get off my butt and get a digital camera!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Square said:

Totally Agree! My Mk2 has definitely made me a believer in Toyota quality. As for your Mk2 hobby, I am right there with you! My Mk2 was also my first car (acquired August 1989). I love the Vette, but I just drive it, I don't play with it. I have no fear of dismantleing the Supra, but the Vette makes me nervous! I am sure I will get over that in time, but for now, I just polish it and drive it. I am envious of your Mk4 though. Man those things are sweet! I would work on getting one of those next, but I foresee Mk4 prices falling slowly, and the 70-72 Vettes are climbing steadily, so I need to work on that project next! :D
As for the mileage, yeah, she has held up well. I will need to do an engine swap or rebuild at some point, but that is down the road a bit. I think you can expect your 5M to go at least 320,000 km, and with a car loving owner (such as yourself) 400K shouldn't be a big deal. I will try to get some video of my Supra starting and idleing once I get off my butt and get a digital camera!
lol, ya! I'm the same...I was like that when I first got the MK2 as well...too scared to fiddle around with it...but over time, as I got used to it I began to do certain things and I started getting comfortable with it...but as for the MK4 I'm like you with your Vette...I just clean it and drive it...I'm yet to do any mods to it...I guess I'm scared lol. I want to though...because it has so much potential and I want to maximise it as much as I can...(or as much as money will allow me too lol). At first I was going to buy an MK3 but I spent a long time looking for one I thought was decent and by that time the MK4's became sort of affordable...so I thought, well it's always been my dream and the pinacle of Supra's...and I will eventually get this car one day...what the hell, I'll fork out that extra bit of money and go for it...so I went and got the MK4...and haven't looked back... :D

I hope my MK2 lives for a long time though...I give it a lot of love so I think it might...I could never let that baby go...20 years old and still going strong...I admire it. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
NiGHTS said:

I want to maximise it as much as I can...(or as much as money will allow me too lol). At first I was going to buy an MK3 but I spent a long time looking for one I thought was decent and by that time the MK4's became sort of affordable...so I thought, well it's always been my dream and the pinacle of Supra's...and I will eventually get this car one day...what the hell, I'll fork out that extra bit of money and go for it...so I went and got the MK4...and haven't looked back... :D

I hope my MK2 lives for a long time though...I give it a lot of love so I think it might...I could never let that baby go...20 years old and still going strong...I admire it. :)
Funny you mention this! I was actually going to buy a 70-72 vette, but I drove a 1989 6-speed (first year for the 6-speed in the vette) and got hooked on the handleing and the throttle response on the newer cars. Then I was going to get a 1992 because it was the first year of the LT1 motor had 45 more HP than the L98 that preceeded it. As I was saving up for the used 1992, the new vette came out. I didn't think I could afford one, but I got a promotion, and I decided I would save up a huge down payment (almost $20K-U.S.) and try to custom order a brand new vette. Like you I managed to pull it off and have never looked back! And now that it is paid for I want the 70-72 again! I actually just made the last payment on it a little over a week ago. I had been in your country on a family vacation for the last month, and with my paychecks piling up in the account (dad sponsored the trip, nice guy that he is), I was able to payoff the loan when I returned last week. I didn't get to Perth, but I did hit most of the east coast (Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourn, and Adlelade). I also got to meet Norbie in person. He is very nice and VERY smart. "Frighteningly knowledgable" is the phrase that comes to mind. He seems to know a lot about toyota engines and what can be done with them. You have an awesom county, and I am sure I will be back. If I make it out to Perth, I will look you up.
As for the MK2, I also want mine to live forever. I plan on haveing a couple of Vette's, a couple of Supra's (Mk4), and maybe even a Ferrari (Testarossa or 348 convertible sounds nice :D ), complete with a nice shop to house/maintain them. But I would like to be a Grandfather and show the kids the car that started it all, you know?!
All I need now is lots of money! LOL:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Wow!! :)

I've always loved Corvettes as well...I always thought the Stingray looked awesome...especially for it's time...I thought it was one of those cars that looked ahead of it's time actually...it still looks cool today! They must be quite popular over there right? Over here they are quite rare, being American cars and all...but I see a few around from time to time and they always turn heads... :D

Are you from Canada? Small world hey...what with you coming to Aus and all. :) Most of the time tourists go straight to Sydney and then all over the East coast because the other capital cities are in close proximity...so they are easy to travel to...But where I live, in Perth, it's all the way over the other side of Australia and a lot of the time people don't get a chance to come here. :( It's a shame...but definitely next time you're here, come down! Would be nice to meet up. (Bring your car too! :p) :)

In the near future I want to travel to America and Canada as well...I like cold weather so I think I'll be right at home in Canada...and I love the American and the Canadian accents...lol. :)

The '89 vette, is that the one which has almost 400 HP ? and 6 speed in '89...that's pretty advanced...even today 6 speeds are only in a few cars...

I would love a Ferrari or Lamborghini as well...but those are just dreams...right now I'm content with my Supra's...they are easily my favourite car...and to think, I was originally going to buy an RX-7! :eek: :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I live in Norfolk, Virginia, U.S.A. . It is at the south east corner of Virginia. It is bordered by the Chesapeake Bay to the North, the Atlantic Ocean to the East, and North Carolina to the south. We have both hot and cold weather. It ranges from 0 degress celcius to about 35 degrees celcius. It does snow, but not much. January is the coldest month, and August is the hottest month.

The trip to Aus was my first, so we wanted to see as much as we could in the time we had. However, we were told by more than one tourist that had been to Perth that it was THE place to see. We really enjoyed our trip, so we will definitely be back. I will make it out to Perth at some point. I would like to bring my car, but they told me it wouldn't fit in the overhead bin!;)

As for the Vettes, yeah they are real common here. A lot of them are dailey drivers. From what I saw in Aus, you could think of them as Nissan Skylines in Aus. Cool cars, but you see them everywhere (I saw a lot of Skylines in Aus).

As for the 1989 vette and almost 400HP, not exactly. What you are referring to is the 1990 ZR-1. The ZR1 prototype that was revieled to the public was a 1989. The actual 1989 Vette used the L98 motor which was rated at 245HP. It did however have over 300lb/ft of torque and the torque curve was quite flat in the lower RPM range, so the car had an amazing amount of "slam" from the moment you hit the gas to about 4500RPM at which point it started to run out of breath. In 1990 Chevy took this same car, but had an engine option caller "ZR-1". THe ZR-1 used a motor called the LT5 which was a Lotus designed DOHC 32 valve 5.7 liter V8. It had 375HP, and gave the car a 4.6 second 0-60MPH, and a top speed of 175MPH. In 1993 the LT5 was tweaked to 405HP which didn't affect the 0-60, but did push the top speed to about 180MPH. The ZR-1 option was very expensive though as it almost doubled the price of the car! The ZR1's also get a widened rear end to accomodate the 315mm rear tires. ZR1's are still cool cars, but as for buying one used there are questions about engine parts availability given the very limited prodution run of the LT5.

A Ferrari is also way off on the dream meter, but we shall see how it goes. It however, is not the most expensive item in the wish list! That honor goes to the garage/shop I want!:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ahhh I see...I might be thinking of the current model? Is the 1990 model still the most current or have they released a new one?

I think I know which model you have now...it still kinda looks like the 1990 model right? sorta...There are a few here and a few of the newer ones too...I think owning one over here is harder than owning most other cars because of parts...kinda like owning an RX-7 with a Rotary over here...I think there is only one shop here that deals with Rotaries...and it's so far from where I live too...that reason alone put me off from buying one...I know about Rotaries but not enough to fix any problem that goes wrong with them...so over here, unless you know absolutely everything about the car you want, you kinda have to get something you know you can get parts for or can at least be serviced...which really sux. :(

But now with the internet, I guess finding parts isn't that hard anymore...we can import them...so easy... :D

Yeah, over here there is a lot of Japanese import cars like Skylines and WRX's...they are quite popular...you probably saw our 2 most common Aussie cars, the Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon...right? What did you think of them? We have special Holdens called HSV's (which cost an arm and a leg) but they are pretty cool for Aussie cars and the new ones have a V8 with 300Kw of power! they've come a long way really...I remember when a friend of mine had his cousin come down from America (L.A) and he couldn't get over the Commodores...he thought they were really awesome...but most people here don't think much of them because we see them all over the place...lol

Supra's are sorta rare too...you don't see much of them...which is why I like them...I like owning a car that you don't see much of...

But yeah, Perth is really nice...it's very quiet though...not as busy as Sydney or Melbourne, but it's nice here...what's Virginia like? Quiet/busy? :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I actually live in Nother Va, about 3 hours from where Square is, and I can say that it has a little bit of everything. I am no more than a 3 hour drive from 5 major cities, and yet at the same time, I could drive 45 minutes and be in an area that has no signs of civilization. It can be nice and quite, or loud and busy, just depends on if you head to the city or country :)

Good call with the RX-7 by the way... Great cars... but too easy to turn the motor into "Wankel Soup"...LOL.

My Fiancee and I are planning on going to Perth for our Honeymoon actually. I tried to convince her to go on the Eco-Challenge Tours they have thru Aust...but she wants Luxury and hotels, not backpacks and strenuous physical activity ;)

A friend of my Dad actually imported a Commodore a few years back. It sits in his garage with 17,000 kms on the clock! Nice looking car, tho I have never seen it run.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Wow! :)

I always thought the "Va" in the location meant Vancouver...lol...whoops. :p

Sounds like you're in a nice part of America then...would be great to be able to drive to a host of captial cities from different provinces/states...But there are so many in America, I get confused...I think I'm gonna get an American map and keep it next to my comp permanently...I've met so many American's on here and they are from all over...so I need to find out where exactly to get a better understanding lol. :)

If I go to America I want to go all over...well I would try to anyway...every section seems really nice...so I would want to experience them all! I really want to go to New York too...but I'm a little scared of being "mugged" as you guys call it. :) But that wont stop me I think...lol

Ya, RX-7's rock just like Supra's...I love them...but, when I was first looking for RX-7's I drove a heap of them...each one different to the next...but I always had Supra's in the back on my mind as well...they were like a second preference...then one day I saw one advertised and decided just to go try it out...that's all it took to get me hooked...this was an MK2 as well...the difference over the RX-7 I had driven was phenominal...I noticed it right away...it was leaps and bounds over them...so smooth, responsive, the engine felt super strong...like it could take on anything you throw at it and not miss a beat...something the RX-7's didn't have...my mind was made up there and then...

Soon after that I also had the privledge of driving other Supra's...MK3's and MK4's...just to get a feel for them...and I was blown away...I had never been in a car like this before...and something about them said, this is the car for you. I only wish Toyota would keep on making them so I could always buy them throughout my lifetime... :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
New York is not that bad. Just don't look like a tourist, and don't act like a target and you'll be fine. :)

The U.S. does have alot of great cities. I am partial to the East coast, but I know alot of the West Coasters would argue with me. I guess its just a matter of what your looking for. The East Coast has more history to it, while the West coast is more Modern culture type place. Thats not to say that the West coast has no history, or that the East coast is just a buncha old farts, but..you get the idea.

When ya come to the States, and ya make it to the Right coast, get in touch with me. I go to New York City, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Baltimore, and richmond all the time, and would be happy to show you around.

Yeah, I also wish Toyota would bring back a car like the Supra, but right now, the closest they seem to have are the Lexus IS300 and the GS300 (which I think you know as the Altezza and Soarer respectively...?)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Wiked!

I probably wont go to America for a couple of years though...when I save enough money to enjoy myself there... :)

BTW, Of all the places to go to in the world, what made you decide on Perth as a honeymoon location? just curious. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
You'd have to ask her honestly... I wanted somewhere with beaches, palm trees and women in very small bikini's that would serve me fruity little umbrella drinks while I layed on the beach... but she has an Austrailia fetish and its just not really worth the effort it would take to get her to change her mind to me... :rolleyes: besides which, I hear Austrailia has some nice beaches, and I am sure I could find some nice australia bikini women (complete with that awesome accent) to serve me fruity umbrella drinks ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Ahh I see...that's cool :) It's great to see she likes Australia...don't worry, you'll have a fabulous time here...it's very peaceful and relaxing and if you like beaches, you'll love it...Australia has some of the best beaches in the world...and almost anywhere you go here you'll find a nice beach...in Summer there are plenty of girls romping around in Bikini's too...but somehow I don't think they'll serve drinks...(But you can dream :p)

You'll have a nice time here for a honeymoon...we've got it all! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Heh..yeah.. she really likes Australia... All I have to do is put on a Mel Gibson movie and she gets all dopey and drooly... LOL

Seriously tho, I like Australia too. Spent a couple of weeks in the middle of no-where middle of the desert during a training deployment back in 2000, and loved it. Very friendly people, and the landscapes are just gorgeous.

I am more of a romp thru the mountains normally, but lately, as busy as life has been for me, I tend to like the relaxion holidays more than anything else.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
NiGHTS said:
Ahhh I see...I might be thinking of the current model? Is the 1990 model still the most current or have they released a new one?

The 1990 Model was part of the 4th generation of Corvette's (1984-1996). In 1997 they released the 5th generation or C5 as owners/fans refer to it. The C5 is still in production but the C6 is rumored to be released in the 2005 model year.

I think I know which model you have now...it still kinda looks like the 1990 model right?

The C5 has a significantly different look than the C4. You can see my vette and Supra here:

My sorry excuse of a home page!

I need to improve my page, but it is a work in progressand better than nothing.

As for Virginia, SupraBob did a good job of describing it. It is a decent place to live.

As for the Falcon and the commodor (and lets not leave out the Monaro!), they are way cool cars. I went to the National auto show when I was in Melbourne and got to see everything (including the Ferrari F60 Enzo, and the new Lambo open top Murcialago! :eek: ). I really like that Aus still has V8 Rear wheel drive cars. They look much nicer than what Ford and Chey(Holden) produce over here. I am going to write Chevy and tell them that they need to bring the commodor and Astra ove here and tell Pontiac to stop making changes to the Monaro (bieng released here as the Pontiac GTO complete with new ugly front fascia by Pontiac ! ).

SupraBob,
You will definitely enjoy the cities of Aus. As you mention everyone is very friendly, and it has plenty of sights to see! We should get together sometime. I have 2 college friends near you. One is off of exit 133 on I-95 and the other is in Aquia off exit 143 I-95.

Nights,
WHen you come to the US, defintely let SupraBob and myself know. I would be more than happy to help show you around.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Square...lemme know when your up this way again! We'll get together and have a couple of :beer:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Will do SupraBob. I should be up there between now and July. My friend in Aquia is married with twins (frightening thought, eh?!), so I don't expect him to come to me anymore.;)

By the way, the place that I test drove that 1989 6 speed vette, in my eariler comments, is the vette/muscle car store on Route one in Prince William county.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
:)

Ahhh yes, I was thinking of the C5...but I thought they got released way earlier than 97...Now I know what the model before it, the C4 looks like...it had a good run though...again, I didn't realise that model lasted such a long time...must of been really popular over there and selling well...which is cool! :D

You have a really nice car though...Corvettes are super sexy cars...expecially those C5's...awesome stuff! If you get a MK4 I would be interested in seeing a comparison from you on both cars... :)

Definitely when I come to America I will look both you guys up...it's nice to have oversea's friends from the net...so that if I when I travel I have some people to meet and show me around...so cool! :D

Thanx heaps!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Square... that place is just outside of the front gate to base here :) They always have NICE cars... I go by and drool all the time.

Nights... It is always nice to have locals to show ya around. Thats probably the greatest part of the I-net... IMO anyway. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Back to the rough idle :mad:

Well, this rough idle is still there...no matter what I do to try to rectify it, it just wont go away...it's really frustrating...

I got new spark cables and changed them and guess what, it actually got worse!! :mad:

It's gone from a rough idle to a violent shaking...the whole car shakes now and I wouldn't classify it as rough anymore...it's terrible...

I'm all out of idea's now...I'm starting to think it's something electrical because I've changed a lot of physical stuff but it doesnt do anything...and now it's even worse...

Anyone have any other solutions or possible causes?

If no one can suggest anything, I'm just going to take it to my mechanic...maybe it's destined to idle badly forever...it only has 145k miles on it though...surely this isn't a result of "old" age... :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Hey Nights,

Do you still have the old plug wires? If so, put them back on and see if the idle gets better. If it does than you either have a bad cable, or a bad connection. Did you use dielectric grease on the plug wire fittings?

Also, please list all the things you have done so far, so I can mull over idea's when I should be working ;) .

I actually just brought my MkII home from the other side of Va yesterday. It had been up there since late December! I was suffering from Supra Withdrawl! But she ran smooth and got 26.3MPG on the trip back!:cool: She continues to make me proud!

21 - 40 of 78 Posts