Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
i need horsepower
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jus got outa a movie (ICE AGE 2 where i saw another SF member) with my fiance and started going home in the supra. I saw a silver rx8 weaving to catch up and he eventually got beside me at a light. I didnt think he wanted to race, but he took off at around 15ish mph out of the light, i didnt do anything since a car was in front of me. I then got up beside him at abt 40mph and put it into 2nd, he took off before me as soon as he heard me drop a gear, got a half car lead on me and i floored it and put 1 car on him, showed the hazards and shut down. The rx8 driver then performed a flyby and proceeded to turn on HIS hazards.... :urowned: . We got to a blinking red light i pulled up beside him again, he asked "is it twin?" I said "no its NONturbo", he looked disappointed and asked "manual?" and i nodded and said yours 6spd? He nodded then suddenly took off first and took a car length lead, i quickly went for it spinning halfway thru 1st, started reeling him in thru 2nd bounced on the limiter :cockblock , then caught even with him in 3rd, but i shut down since there was another red light. The rx8 owner probably saw me catching up so he RAN the red light since he didnt wanna face me again with out a cheap ass headstart.

in then end: I spun thru 1st, bounced at the limiter at the end of 2nd and then still managed to reel him in on 3rd gear, even tho he took off first both times.

rx8 owner prob thought trhu all this:
1. Wow a TT beat me by only one length off a roll
2. Shit, a NA beat me by a whole length off a roll
3. wow i got a head start and the NA spun like shit and he still reeled me in.

happy that my car was able to beat out the zoom-zoom even tho i screwed up on the last run.

·
Panty Dropper
360 Posts
So you beat a car with 20 whp more than you and weighs 400 pounds less? What is done to your car?

·
i need horsepower
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
look at the sig, thats all. The rx8 driver may have been a crappy driver, but I also had a crappy run.
my car has an apexi gt spec. wheels and suspension, thats it.

I had me (160 lbs) and my fiance (115ish lbs.)
rx8 had guy (prob 160-80) a girl (115ish). No other passangers

the amt of torque between the vehicles as well as the gearing may have been beneficial towards me.

I made this post so other na supra owners could be confident in running with the best "sportscar" mazda has to offer at the moment.

·
i need horsepower
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^ do u own an NA supra? do u kno what it can do? please dont make conclusions abt me being a liar or my car being incapable because it doesnt have turbos. I have ran another one before (search for my thread) with around the same result. People said it must have been auto. I raced this one because it was a 6spd.

The gearing on my car is totally different from it and the torque is totaly different from it, my car is an SE which means hardtop, cloth seats, no stock sub/amp blah blah lightest mkiv u can have period.

rx8
curb weight: 3029
Horsepower: 238 bhp @ 8500 rpm
Torque: 160 lb-ft @ 5500 rpm
6-spd gearing....

SE
curb weight: 3215 (off of mkiv.com for a reg NA.)
hp: 220 @ 5800
tq: 210 @ 4800
short 5spd gearing: (yes short as in mechanically limited to 155mph)

so can u really say there is no way?? think before u say something man.

·
Panty Dropper
360 Posts
Not saying you didn't win, though it probably shouldn't have lost. Either way how did you spin in second gear. N/A Supra's are pretty slow. :bigthumb:

·
shotaro kaneda
2,048 Posts
Turbo4reek said:
sorry but i am going to have to say

1) :bsflag:

or

2) he didn't know how to drive

My uncle owns a RX-8 and i know what it can do. No way you pulled on him
crabs are slow, especially from a dig. crab owners know this and for the most part, prefer to take off early and use cheap tactics to (try to) stay ahead of you. most crab owners are assholes.

and yes, you can walk all over a crab in an NA. NAs are the lightest supras around and from what i've seen usually dyno at around 190 whp. the RX-8 dynos at 175 if you're lucky.

·
i need horsepower
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
didnt spin in 2nd, spun off the crappy launch at the light in 1st, hit the limiter in 2nd insd of shifting right away.

haha, as for being able to spin in 2nd, its very hard to after i got my wheels and tires, it was pretty easy tho when i had stock 16s with bald 245's in the rear.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
LOL I was going to give this sub-forum another chance and then I read this... :faint:

Wow, 2 slow heavy cars battled it out leavin the movie theatres. :rolleyes:

Grow up and bring it to the track. This was hardly a kill.

Anyways, carry on.

·
Panty Dropper
360 Posts
PhoeniXDownVII said:
LOL I was going to give this sub-forum another chance and then I read this... :faint:

Anyways, carry on.

Haha.

·
Supraless member
317 Posts
Hey guys, stop beating up on him! The power/weight ratio is in favor of the RX8, BUT it has to go through the rpm range (which is loooong on that car) to get some juice, the torque is not fabulous and it's really high in the revs...The supra is heavier, but has short gears and the torque is available earlier. The RX8 is not a straight-line highway machine...it's made for superb cornering and it will beat up 90% of the cars on the market when it comes to real driving. That's how Mazda thinks about sports cars. It makes sense to me that the supra beats it on a standing start.

·
i need horsepower
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PhoeniXDownVII said:

Anyways, carry on.
haha you should shut up. thx

since im sure u never ever in your life enjoyed your car on the streets... :rolleyes:

and yes NA supras are slower than TT supras, i got the memo. :scratch:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nice Killa man. RX-8's are pretty fast. They are supposedly fast and u can't underestimate them. It's good to hear than an old na can beat the new cars now (RX-8).

Alvin

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
The gearing on the RX-8:

Gear ratios: 4 AT
1st 2.785
2nd 1.545
3rd 1.000
4th 0.694
5th -
6th -
Reverse 2.272
Final Drive 4.444

Gear ratios: 6 MT
1st 3.760
2nd 2.269
3rd 1.645
4th 1.187
5th 1.000
6th 0.843
Reverse 3.564
Final Drive 4.444

Gearing for a 95 NA:
1st 3.285:1
2nd 1.894:1
3rd 1.275:1
4th 1.000:1
5th 0.783:1
Final Drive 4.273

Assuming that the tire diameters are roughly the same, I would say a 6-Speed RX-8 has a significant advantage in gearing.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
old man celica said:
haha you should shut up. thx

since im sure u never ever in your life enjoyed your car on the streets... :rolleyes:

and yes NA supras are slower than TT supras, i got the memo. :scratch:

I've "Enjoyed" my car on the streets, sure. But I also recognize that my MKII Mr2 NA is slow-as-hell and wouldn't care to somehow write a lengthy post about a lame 1-3rd gear stoplight race using "Hazards" (oh so cool...).

Most of my "Spirited" driving is done by myself on the 55mph windy roads I take everywhere I go. The rest is done at the AutoX & Track days.

I have "Accelerated fairly quickly" from a stoplight in my FD against another car from time to time, with nobody else around of course. It was never something post-worthy.

·
i need horsepower
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PhoeniXDownVII said:
I've "Enjoyed" my car on the streets, sure. But I also recognize that my MKII Mr2 NA is slow-as-hell and wouldn't care to somehow write a lengthy post about a lame 1-3rd gear stoplight race using "Hazards" (oh so cool...).

Most of my "Spirited" driving is done by myself on the 55mph windy roads I take everywhere I go. The rest is done at the AutoX & Track days.

I have "Accelerated fairly quickly" from a stoplight in my FD against another car from time to time, with nobody else around of course. It was never something post-worthy.
sorrie to bust your bubble man, but i jus said i recognize the NA is slower especially when compared to the TT.

When u "accelerated fairly quickly" from a stoplight im sure u never used 1st-3rd gr cuz its "lame".

and yes I also engage in "spirited driving" on the windy roads of angeles crest mountains where the socal guys/moderator (braddman) have canyon runs every couple of months. You yourself even admit racing slow cars which arent post-worthy... :scratch:

i wrote this thread mainly for the NA owners since most of them think like a couple of guys who posted, that the NA isnt fast enough to compete with the rx8 on paper.

if ya dont like my post go check out the bpu vs. viper thread where they race to 130mph twice as quickly as us and tell them to grow up.

·
i need horsepower
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
kaneda said:
crabs are slow, especially from a dig. crab owners know this and for the most part, prefer to take off early and use cheap tactics to (try to) stay ahead of you. most crab owners are assholes.

and yes, you can walk all over a crab in an NA. NAs are the lightest supras around and from what i've seen usually dyno at around 190 whp. the RX-8 dynos at 175 if you're lucky.
lobsters man lobsters :scratch:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts