Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Pot Hole Slalom
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I know there are posts about about what types of tranny oil to use but I just wanted to share my experience with you all.

My transmission was very clunky and noisy. It was so clunky that I was getting embarrassed shifting from first to second under normal driving...you can hear it from like a block away sometimes. After making some posts and reading other posts about the V160, I had come to the conclusion that's the way the 6 speed is. I even had another member drive my car and tell me it's fine. I was prepared to live with that.

I had not flushed my tranny oil since I got the car so I decided to do it. The oil that came out was red & clear. I was surprised how clean it was and thought that changing out the oil could not possibly give me any dramatic results.

So after reading some posts I put in Royal Purple Synchromax... and it has done wonders! I cannot believe how much of a difference it made. Smoother shifts, more response, almost feels like more power, and best of all - no more clunking! I was at the point where I was thinking driveshaft issues, u-joints, etc, but this oil took away all the problems and its getting smoother and quieter the more I drive it. I've driven about 150kms so far and it just gets better and better. I enjoy driving the car so much more now!

I know a lot of guys had similar issues and wanted to share this with you. Synchromax totally worked beyond my expectations.

Cheers

· Pot Hole Slalom
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!! btw how do you change tranny fluid? is it just a bolt like changing oil!? hahaha

sorry for the stupid question. i never did a tranny fluid change.
Make sure the car is level when draining.
There is a drain bolt (17mm) on the bottom tranny that points straight down. The oil comes out really quick so be careful of splashing. The fill hole is on the side...you can't miss it.

The easiest way to fill it is jacking the front drivers side (for USDM) on an angle and running a hose through the back of the engine bay down to the fill hole. I attached the new bottle of oil to the hose and let gravity do the rest of the work. My friend was holding the bottom of the hose into the fill hole. I used 1.8L of oil.

Hope that makes sense. There is also a write up somewhere here that explains this procedure a little better.

· Pot Hole Slalom
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My pump wasnt pulling in oil so I used the method explained above.

But yes +1 for the hand pump would probably have been easier.

· Registered
7,464 Posts
appreciate the review... car looks bad ass btw!
craig

· Registered
1,320 Posts
i aswell just changed my tranny fluid .

i used the royal purple sycromax and so far its awsome !!!!!!!!!!!

· Pot Hole Slalom
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
appreciate the review... car looks bad ass btw!
craig

Awesome news! I am about to do my 6-speed swap AND we just started carrying this stuff at the store I work at. Now I know what to put in the trans! Keep us posted as to whether it continues to stay nice.
Will do.

· Time for change
14,584 Posts
From personal experience, I would not put anything Royal Purple in my car. If you're looking for good stuff, Amsoil and Castrol are what I would look for. You might re-think Royal Purple after reading this

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf
You are the outlying data, and will be ignored until others have proof of RP bashing, anything more than hearsay of course.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.