Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question im in the process of finishing up my 2jz 240sx and i want to know what i can set the rev limiter at, i have BC valvesprings and retainers, arp head studs, new oem HG and hks 280 cams, i was thinking 8000rpm not sure im running a t76 dbb so i want the most rpm range without a problems, plan to do some headwork and oversized valves down the road so let me know. and post up your head work and rpm limits thanks

mark

·
Drive Hard
633 Posts
I had a question im in the process of finishing up my 2jz 240sx and i want to know what i can set the rev limiter at, i have BC valvesprings and retainers, arp head studs, new oem HG and hks 280 cams, i was thinking 8000rpm not sure im running a t76 dbb so i want the most rpm range without a problems, plan to do some headwork and oversized valves down the road so let me know. and post up your head work and rpm limits thanks

mark
i think that 8500-8700 rpm are a safe limit for the head.
but you have stock internals or not? remember to check the oil pressure with high rpm:1poke:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
8000 is very reasonable and realistic.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
I think around 8500 with stronger valve springs should be ok. 8k is already ok with stock valvetrain.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
yup:) It is proven that (even with AM cams) that you´ll get no valve float until around this RPM level. Above this I would say reinforced valve springs would be a good idea.

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
yup:) It is proven that (even with AM cams) that you´ll get no valve float until around this RPM level. Above this I would say reinforced valve springs would be a good idea.
I would disagree with the statement about the stock head running at an 8k rpm redline. Basically, you are running everything to the limit which should hold up fine but should and reality are two different things. I think most people that raise their rev limit to 8k or more already have done the headwork to accomodate. I dont see too many supras with the money invested into the AEM unit or other capable of raising the rev limiter cheapen out on the cost of springs/retainers...therefore I wouldnt think it could be proven...not enough cars have done it for a long enough period to say anything definite.

Then again, Im conservative when it comes to those things.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Sure things can happen but there are these points I have based my opinion on:
1. OEM redline is 7k. Knowing that Toyota is also rather conservative and the engine we have is extraordinary capable and long-lasting there IS room for an increased redline definitely.
2. I have talked to a cam manufacturer guy (CAT cams) and they don´t even sell reinforced springs because there is apparently no need until a certain point.

Based on these two points I am sure that 8k (temporary) is not destructive. Sure it could be dangerous when doing it for a prolonged time but how is doing that??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts