Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· (◕_◕)
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whenever I start my 7m it acts as if there is no throttle control, it tries to rev out till it's redlined. I haven't allowed it to do so though. Could this only be the TPS doing this? I am also smelling a fume of gas, and after I shut it off, I hear what sounds like a slow leak of air pressure of some sort, coming from back drivers area of the engine. Nothing is wet there, so it isn't a fuel leak. I made all of my ic piping is very very tight, I checked all the vacuum hoses, too. The throttle cable is sitting on the tb loose, so it can't be that, anyone have anything?

· (◕_◕)
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Still can't figure this out.

· (◕_◕)
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could the Idle speed control cause this?

· (◕_◕)
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No codes, I think that is another problem. I am using the jdm harness, you think it could possibly be different, the only difference I saw is that it was shorter in length, so I had it lengthened. I ohmed out the tps, and it's working, but it's working like it's reversed, which would also make the computer think the tb is open 100%.

· "Yeah! Take the lemons.."
1,022 Posts
I dunno but to my understanding you have to match sensors to the harness. Like jdm oil pressure sender gauge with jdm harness, not sure if yr's of sensors and harness's need to match.

I would assume it's the same for the tps. Would make sense cause my afm and tps have codes on em right now n dies when given gas. The afm is from a older usdm 7mgte engine(but matches the harness) and I have the newer jdm 7mgte engine and the tps is jdm on a usdm harness.

Edit,

My tps is actually usdm(and matches harness, sorry!) but from the 89 usdm 7mgte. I dunno if the diff model 7mgte engines but of the same countty matter to whether the harness is jdm or usdm but I've been told the sensors do.

So there's 3 variables to my understanding; Engine(model,country) Sensors(country) and harness(model?,country). I would LOVE to know which matter, maybe that would help the both of us?

· (◕_◕)
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't change the tps, this one came on the motor. It reads backwards, and reads nothing on other pins, I think it's bad.

· Addicted to oil
3,457 Posts
Here is how I diagnose if the ISC is causing issues. Take the line that goes from the intake to the ISC off. Partially block the air flow into it with your finger. If you can regulate the idle by doing this, the ISC isnt' doing its job correctly.

Dennis

· Your ignorance...
985 Posts
Unplug the TPS and try to to start it. I will run with no TPS, but just won't idle very nicely, a bit lumpy. However if it fails to rev like crazy you've located your problem.

As far as your swap is concerned, I would use whatever SENSORS AND HARNESS that match your ECU. If you got JDM ECU, use JDM harness and sensors, if american then use american. Many of the sensors have different resistances, and some have differently shaped plugs.

· (◕_◕)
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far from what I can tell the TPS sensor is 100% exactly the same. In scale, size, connector.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.