Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title of the thread says...RPS and MVPmotorsports.com would like to announce that RPS will be manufacturing a Cyn-R-G lightweight segmented flywheel for the 1JZ motor.

This flywheel will retail for the same price as the 2JZ and MK3 flywheels, $499.95. Street price will be about $428.

Exact weight is TBD, but should be virtually identical to the MK3 RPS Cyn-R-G flywheel.

This Cyn-R-G flywheel will have the same advantages as all other RPS segmented flywheels.

This flywheel will be available by May 15th, 2005.

Until these flywheels are ready to ship, MVP will be accepting pre-orders at a price of $399.95.
This is an authorized 1-time special introductory price by RPS, meaning they approved it and therefore will honor all warranty and support.

Any questions about this flywheel please post here or e-mail [email protected] or call me during normal business hours.

You can purchase it securely online here.

Regards,

Dusty

·
:)
2,125 Posts
This is taken from another forum... has this problem been fixed?
---------------------------------------------------------------

This week I started up the beast to find out the clutch was not working

I originally had a stock FW with my RPS 3200 Lb RPS pressure plate with the same McLeod Rev-Lok II iron disc with no problem for a year
Then I went crazy and with a fully built motor SPSSGT975W turbo, AEM ECU, Ect...too much to list (going for 700+Rwhp in a 7M)

I purchased a RPS flywheel from MVP and swapped that with the stocker.
When installed, the clutch slave bottoms out about 1/4+" before hitting the mounting plate and putting it fully in disengages the clutch to the point you can hold the rear tires with your hands while in gear (Car still on jack stands)
Removing the slave/clutch fork makes the clutch engage properly as far as I can tell while on jack stands

The only thing different is the FW and calling RPS directly was a waste of time (JT said to pull the trans and give them the parts to check it out)
Note: If the RPS flywheel is closer to the engine then the clutch fork would angle closer to the clutch slave and create this bottoming out problem.
RPS states the flywheel is the same thickness as the stocker and has never heard of this problem

Well these pictures say a thousand words
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TgAwA5QXF6mD5qfOwkN!iZTGhv4n4FNlRB9Wgq9iy5uGTURilA1QoImbIkgqAXqF2hg7Iv7BeTF8VgYSIYvhPF!QK4kqXb3s20XS8b4*j9v6andXeXX5MQ/Stock%20Flywheel0.JPG?dc=4675517188635977209
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TADtAoUW4ljJCUKaiIQwHH7yd2LnhLGFe*QjODMUSEj4D*Z5qlMfz1wQMe!9hhyyXjvMI0pCeBF7Nxsgpq07!eRWMlmQkNQz2Ojx0vGrtwwSwlbjXWKy8A/RPS%20Flywheel0.JPG?dc=4675517188391079764
The stock is 34mm and the RPS is 27mm thick
7mm difference = .276" closer to the engine and making the clutch fork angle closer to it’s mounting hole and bottoming out the clutch slave.

I've sent these pictures to RPS to find out what they say
This has been checked by another RPS flywheel with the same results
A possible solution is to add washers to the clutch slave or cut the clutch slave shaft down

I can’t believe this!!!
John R.

·
Registered
159 Posts
thats fucking crazy, this is the same one their selling now? lets us know when it gets fixed please
i was going to order one today

·
Premium Member
10,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lenny said:
This is taken from another forum... has this problem been fixed?
---------------------------------------------------------------

Rob at RPS says this problem has been addressed. John's situation is special and here is why:

The stock disc is 340 thousandths thick.
The Mcloed disc that John bouth is 260 thousandths thick.

John measured a difference in the flywheel b\c RPS makes it that way. It makes the flywheel lighter which has NO effect on release.

Yes you can use the Mcloed disc with a stock flywheel because it changes the location of the throwout bearing. You can not mis-match a Mcloed disc with an RPS flywheel, the RPS flywheel was never designed for this kind of combination.

Why in the world Mcloed makes a disc that is 80/1000th thinner than the stock disc I can't imagine, but that's their thing.

Are there any customers that have the RPS Pressure plate, RPS Disc, and RPS Flywheel that has release problems in the last 3 years?? Absolutely NOT.

If you want to absolutely positively 100% guarantee that the new RPS Cyn-R-G flywheel for the 1JZ will work as intended then you should purchase it along with RPS MK3 Supra Pressure Plate and RPS Street OR 6-puck MK3 Supra Disc.

RPS does not post on public forums anymore, therefore there was no one to defend their side. Please keep in mind there are always 2 sides to every story.

I hope this fully answers your questions and then some.

Regards,

Dusty

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dusty, i just got done emailing you about a flywheel for my 1jz and that when you told me of this, do you for see any probs w/ a spec press. plate

·
Premium Member
10,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LST-SOL said:
Dusty, i just got done emailing you about a flywheel for my 1jz and that when you told me of this, do you for see any probs w/ a spec press. plate

Thanks for the flywheel offer Jason.

Rob at RPS confirms what I already said - his flywheel is made to work 100% with his pressure plate. It is impossible to guarantee that it would work 100% with any other brand as that is not its intention.

I am not saying it wouldn't work. I'm saying its impossible to answer given that the flywheel doesn't even exist yet! :)

Thanks,

Dusty

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I know what i'm getting for my next setup. :D

·
Premium Member
10,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RPS has decided not to make this part at this time. Their production line is too backed up and they said they simply can't get it done right now, but they certainly will try when things slow down.

Currently there is no ETA on when it will be made, sorry guys.

Dusty

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
sooo if i order it now... it will cost 399?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts