Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my rps C/C installed and i'm worried. I've only put 6 miles on it so far because i am so worried..... The chatter that is coming out of it at idle with the clutch out while the car is in neutral is REALLY loud. I have the lightweight flywheel in there and i realize that will cause some chatter, however this is like i said WAY louder than any other clutch i've run. I am running an HKS hyper dragger and the chatter at idle is louder than the exhaust... PLEASE HELP ME!!!! Is this normal??? If so awesome i don't have to fix anything and i can deal with a loud clutch I don't care as long as it grips....... But this thing is loud as balls and i'm scared its not installed correctly... thanks for all the help....

·
Registered
392 Posts
I also have the RPS Level 3 Carbon-Carbon Twin Disc Clutch and I put up a post because I didnt know if it was supposed to chatter like that or not. Everyone told me that is normal because the flywheel is lightweight w/o dampner, which makes sense. According to how my car is idling, the chatter can drown out the exhaust (mine is HKS also) so I dont think you have anything to worry about. Its like you said, if it hooks up, then I think you are good to go.

·
Registered
148 Posts
spankyouverymuch said:
whats your idle at. mine is at 1,000 and barely chatters at all
I was gonna say the same. have mine at 1100 ad it will chatter when the car is warming up but after the car is warm no chatter what so ever.
James

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
TTSpoolin said:
I just got my rps C/C installed and i'm worried. I've only put 6 miles on it so far because i am so worried..... The chatter that is coming out of it at idle with the clutch out while the car is in neutral is REALLY loud. I have the lightweight flywheel in there and i realize that will cause some chatter, however this is like i said WAY louder than any other clutch i've run. I am running an HKS hyper dragger and the chatter at idle is louder than the exhaust... PLEASE HELP ME!!!! Is this normal??? If so awesome i don't have to fix anything and i can deal with a loud clutch I don't care as long as it grips....... But this thing is loud as balls and i'm scared its not installed correctly... thanks for all the help....
What other clutch setups are you comparing it to?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I wish I would of known this also before I got the TRD twin Disc with LW flywheel.
I knew it would chatter but not like a eighteen wheeler.

·
Inline for the win
4,776 Posts
turn your idle up to 1k. Then is will almost be eliminated and the more miles you put on it will smooth out. The rattle is the tranny due to its design from Getrag. The stock dampened flywheel eliminated this noise, but since you have a lightweight flywheel, you have induced it.

It will not hurt it, however, I do recommend getting a BL damperner and ditch the stocker with the aluminum hub when using this clutch.

DP

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alex D said:
What other clutch setups are you comparing it to?

I'm comparing it to a totally different car haha... I know it sounds funny but its all i have to go off of. I used to have a 500 hp integra that had several different set-ups the loudest I had was an ACT 6 puck unsprung with a chromoly flywheel. It was still just a puck not a twin disk. It was loud as well but nothing like this. I like the feel of this clutch alot better though on that set-up i was running the extreme pressure plate and it was incredibly hard to push the clutch in. I've got about 50 miles of break in done so far and everything is running right just still loud...

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
281 Posts
Alex D said:
If we ever see each other in MD, you can hear my car as i have the chromoly version of your clutch setup.

+1 I have the chromoly flywheel and get very little if any chatter. I even have my idle around 700.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts