Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
320hp
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having some problems with my RPS C/C Clutch. When I first got the clutch the engagement was right off the floor. I had it installed back in August of last year. It has gone less than 3000 Miles and has 15 or so passes on it at the track Lauching at 5000rpm off the 2-step. Recently the clutch pedal engagement has been getting higher and higher. Now, it will slip on 2psi of boost.

In another thread (Alex D) Responed that I should check the fluid level in the slave or may have a leak. Well all is dry, Fluid level is right to the top and clean. I took a video of the clutch movement with the inspection plate off. The discs appear to have meat still left on them from the little I can see.

Also I attached a clip of this guy I had pressure washing my garage doors for a good laugh.

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
Check and make sure your PP bolts are tight.

·
Inline for the win
4,747 Posts
Have you bleed you slave cylinder at all?

Check these items:

1. Slave cylinder operating and moving during pedal depression.
2. Clutch fork isn't damaged and is also moving during pedal depression.
3. Ensure you have correct sequence of the installation of the plates per RPS.
4. Make sure all of the pressure plate bolts are present and torqued to proper setting.
5. Make sure the spring on the hook mounting inside the bellhousing isn't broken or damaged. This spring piece makes up for slack in the fork which makes your clutch feel like its has tons of slack before it disengages.
6. Adjust the rod under the dash that is connected to the master cylinder to change location of engage/disengagement.

My C/C disengages with 30-40% of the total pedal travel. I never get anywhere near the floor to disengage the clutch. If your clutch is operating about 1" off the floor, you may have one of the above as your issue or you have damaged fingers on the pressure plate.

DP

·
Boost Junkie
12,635 Posts
Some one on there also mentioned to break the spot welds that hold the bracket together that the clutch pedal is attached to. YOu may want to check that bracket as well.

Steve

·
320hp
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you bleed you slave cylinder at all? YES...

Check these items:

1. Slave cylinder operating and moving during pedal depression. Yes... (see video)
2. Clutch fork isn't damaged and is also moving during pedal depression. Yes... (see Video)
3. Ensure you have correct sequence of the installation of the plates per RPS. It worked for 3000 miles and a dozen passes. Will check as soon as the trans is out. Any hints to get the allen bolts that hold down the flywheel.
4. Make sure all of the pressure plate bolts are present and torqued to proper setting. Def all there and tight as F*CK
5. Make sure the spring on the hook mounting inside the bellhousing isn't broken or damaged. This spring piece makes up for slack in the fork which makes your clutch feel like its has tons of slack before it disengages. IDK... I do nto know what this is. Any pics???

6. Adjust the rod under the dash that is connected to the master cylinder to change location of engage/disengagement. I did the adjustment it lowered the grab point but still did not grab hard.

Thank you all for your help.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Bobby, I've put several of those clutches in and none of them have engaged right off the floor initially or ever. That does not sound correct. Was the clutch before engaging similarly or normal? Maybe an installation error led to accelerated wear if the old clutch was fine. The floater plate is a PITA to line up sometimes.

I don't think it has anything to do with the release system (pedal, master, slave, fork etc) as all that has to do is let go all the way when you are off the clutch to keep it from slipping, and from watching your vid, it appears to be (little tough to see on my monitor though).

Some (carefully applied) heat will help release the locktite on those allen bolts easier if you need it.

-Brian

·
320hp
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Brian,

I got the PP Bolts out... the PP now spins freely. Do I have to pull the discs back on the shaft before i pull the trans down...

I wouldnt say the pedal was right off the floor (Like a Honda or DSM with a Heavy clutch... It was an inch or 2 off the floor but as time went on it got higher and Higher. From the looks of these discs from the inspection shields. They look like they have meat on them.

RPS Told me to measure them. I have 1 Starter bolt and the Bell Housing bolts to go. Wish me luck, will be reporting back.

Bobby

Edit: Trans out and clutch out... Looks like more wear on the PP and the Flywheel than the discs and the Floater? IDK... I am off to sears for a caliper guage.

·
320hp
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I went to Sears for some calipers... All they had was some cheasy ass plastic china ones and they were $30. I am going to bring the clutch to my machinist and have him measure the material before shipping it out to RPS. Attached are several pics I took of the clutch. The Friction material on the Flywheel and PP seem to show the most wear, You can see a small step from where the clutch was riding on, on both. The Disc edges facing the PP and the Flywheel show some wear as well. While the Floater and the inner disc faces show very little if any wear?

What is the procedure for measuring the friction surfaces?

Thanks Bobby

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
That looks like the older version you have there (think they updated it due to some issues, I forget specifically what). It does look pretty heavily worn for 3k miles but looks like everything was lined up ok on install. I'd ask RPS to inspect the clamping load of the pressure plate as well if you send it in for a rebuild.

I'd talk to Rob @ RPS about the particulars as far as the measurments they want and if maybe you could trade in / upgrade to the newer style they have available if need be.

·
Banned
216 Posts
i just dropped off my clutch this past wednesday for a rebuild, i must say
yours looks exactly like mine did. honestly dont bother with a caliper gauge it needs the rebuild from what i see in the pics. jerry is cool to deal with you shouldnt have any problems with her.

good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts