Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1)I know a few people had some problems with the RPS Carbon-Carbon Twin Disc Clutch for the Supra TT and was wondering if RPS had resolved the issues the unit had ?

2)also what flywheel unit you think is best?
Aluminum
or
Chromoly

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
1. I have the latest RPS C/C with chromoly flywheel and it has been flawless. It has held everything i have thrown at it and its very slippable. I have about 5k miles on mine so far and its still doing fine.

2. Chromoly is the better setup for drag. Aluminum frees up a little bit more power on the street and revs up quicker. The aluminum also sounds like a can of rocks idling unless you have it idling at >1000rpm . It also takes alittle more gas to get the car moving with the aluminum flywheel from a dead stop but thats with any lightweight flywheel setup.

·
Inline for the win
4,770 Posts
I agree with Alex on both items. I wish I went with the chromoly for the minor noise factor, but in the end I can deal with the car like this.

I have ran numerous passes and have been able drive it frequently without an issue. I

My recommendation is to go with the chromoly flywheel.

DP

·
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys !

·
6 speed
1,318 Posts
i have the latest rps carbon/carbon pro series and it has not given me any problems. i have the chromoly flywheel and i left it at the stock idle and it is pretty quiet. the only time it makes a ton of noise is when you are lugging the engine on the freeway. then u hear a whole bunch of crappy gear chattering noise. another issue i have with the clutch is that it's enguagement point is very high...not sure if that's really an issue...(i've gotten used to it) but no matter how much i adjust the clutch master, it is still very high. i might end up putting the HKS slave rod in and see what happens. other than that, im very happy with the clutch.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Ranger498: I currently have mine out of the car because I had to replace my RMS. If you're near the Union NJ area, send PM if you want to check it out. I have the anodized flywheel.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Alex D said:
1. I have the latest RPS C/C with chromoly flywheel and it has been flawless. It has held everything i have thrown at it and its very slippable. I have about 5k miles on mine so far and its still doing fine.

2. Chromoly is the better setup for drag. Aluminum frees up a little bit more power on the street and revs up quicker. The aluminum also sounds like a can of rocks idling unless you have it idling at >1000rpm . It also takes alittle more gas to get the car moving with the aluminum flywheel from a dead stop but thats with any lightweight flywheel setup.

Alex,

1. what is your idle rpm
2. can you hear the noise with Chromoly FW.
3. PM me about your Supra for sale.
thanks,

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
NickD. said:
Alex,

1. what is your idle rpm
2. can you hear the noise with Chromoly FW.
3. PM me about your Supra for sale.
thanks,

I currently have my car idling at about 900rpm but had it at 700rpm earlier this year. I only have it idling at 900 rpm to hide the cam lope. The chromoly does have a little noise but very minimal. It is about as close as you're gonna get to a stock flywheel.

Alex

·
Registered
959 Posts
Alex D said:
I currently have my car idling at about 900rpm but had it at 700rpm earlier this year. I only have it idling at 900 rpm to hide the cam lope. The chromoly does have a little noise but very minimal. It is about as close as you're gonna get to a stock flywheel.

Alex
Thanks for the info.

·
keep livin man, L I V I N
818 Posts
Just ordered mine little while back. I went with the chromoly, heard that the heavier flywheel was better with the CC.

Ill make a post when the car is complete and driving.

·
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hey Al,
I install one on a friend supra,with the chromoly flywheel.Nice clutch kit,but i don't thing it's worth the cost.The pedal feel is a bit hard,but ok the launch and slip,it also rattles too but not too load. Here are some pictures of it.

pressure plate

disc to the pressure plate

the center disc,the one that rattles.

the disc to the flywheel

the flywheel.

·
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i dont like my current act PP the feel is way to hard ,what do you think i should run with ?

oh thxs for the pics. :sadance:

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Best thing for you to is to actually try the clutch out yourself. If you're willing to come down to MD, i'll let you test out the RPS C/C Chromoly so you know exactly how it feels/engages. Everybody's opinion of hard or early engagement is different from person to person.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Ranger498 said:
well i dont like my current act PP the feel is way to hard ,what do you think i should run with ?

oh thxs for the pics. :sadance:
Al,if you drap race the car and like to hear the rattling with a medium hard feel clutch,about 3000 lb pressure plate,then this clutch is what you want or if you don't mind spending $2800 on a clutch to drive on your daily car,then go for it.

I install a southbend 2800 lb pressure plate with their kevlar disc and so far it's holding with about 500 miles on it and the feel is good and you can slip it with no problem at all.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
jam98tt said:
Al,if you drap race the car and like to hear the rattling with a medium hard feel clutch,about 3000 lb pressure plate,then this clutch is what you want or if you don't mind spending $2800 on a clutch to drive on your daily car,then go for it.

I install a southbend 2800 lb pressure plate with their kevlar disc and so far it's holding with about 500 miles on it and the feel is good and you can slip it with no problem at all.

The standard RPS Carbon/Carbon is a 2800lb plate and not a 3000lb plate.

·
Under Construction
555 Posts
I had roughly 100miles on my new C/C with chromoly flywheel and my carbon floater that sits in between the two discs broke in 4 pieces. Called up RPS and they sent me another non-carbon floater no questions asked. I don't think they will continue with the carbon floater since its very delicate.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Alex D said:
The standard RPS Carbon/Carbon is a 2800lb plate and not a 3000lb plate.
Thanks for the correction,i was guessing about the pressure because of the different between my single disc 2800 lbs and the RPS c/c.it feels a lot heavier.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Whats the deal with the design? I'm hearing now that the ring pin can seperate, the floater can come loose, possible damage to synchros, very hard to get in gear, etc...

·
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TwinTurboPete said:
I had roughly 100miles on my new C/C with chromoly flywheel and my carbon floater that sits in between the two discs broke in 4 pieces. Called up RPS and they sent me another non-carbon floater no questions asked. I don't think they will continue with the carbon floater since its very delicate.
:crying: :faint:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts