Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Supra is in the tuner shop and they tried to install the RPS stage 3 w/sprung hub clutch with a Mueller lightened flywheel. They said that the disc presses against the flywheel bolts and throwout bearing when insatlled. Is the clutch in backwards or is the wrong clutch in altogether? They have been trying to contact RPS and they (so say) have not returned to them with an answer so anyone have any ideas?

Eric

T-78

I know I posted the same question elsewhere, but I want to get this out as much as possible.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
it has to be in backwards. it is always "flat side - flywheel" . so the flat side should press up against the flywheel, and the side of the disc with a pertruding center portion should face the rear of the supra. also, since the flywheel bolts are recessed, and they said the disc is touching them, that would be the other indication that it is in backwards.

anyone can make a mistake, but i wouldn't suggest taking your car back to them.

outlaw star said:
The Supra is in the tuner shop and they tried to install the RPS stage 3 w/sprung hub clutch with a Mueller lightened flywheel. They said that the disc presses against the flywheel bolts and throwout bearing when insatlled. Is the clutch in backwards or is the wrong clutch in altogether? They have been trying to contact RPS and they (so say) have not returned to them with an answer so anyone have any ideas?

Eric

T-78

I know I posted the same question elsewhere, but I want to get this out as much as possible.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now I didn't see what they were talking about because I was at work, but I do know that the clutch disc with the sprung hub is quite an assembly. There's one part that sticks up a lot, and then there's the flat part. But the flat part isn't really flat because, attatched to the larger main flat piece of the disc, is a circular metal disc that sandwiches the springs. I'm not sure exactly what piece is rubbing because all I can report is what they told me.

Eric

T-78

·
Registered
87 Posts
Whenever installing an RPS Stage 3 Sprung hub clutch always install the spring pack towards the pressure plate. Before the pressure plate is tightened, the spring pack will touch the throw out bearing. Since the Supra uses a "pull" style clutch, the fingers pull away from the disc when the bolts are tightened.

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
Thanks man, I just got your e-mail. They installed it after double checking it with Nero at Titan and it works perfectly. The damn thing grabs and doesn't let go. The lightened flywheel is taking time to get used to but I can feel more power to the rear wheels than was there before. I don't even mind that it kind of sounds like a John Deere. It's worth it.

Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts