Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SP74HO
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone identify this clutch. When i bought the car years ago, it was supposed to have a RPS clutch. Today i pulled the engine and removed the clutch, it has Toyota and ASIN on the pressure plate.
The disk has six slots and looks nothing like a factory or a six puck. I looked at RPS's web site, and found no clutch disc that matchs.

I am not sure but i thought RPS took stock pressure plate and modded them. Anyone know for sure?

If this is a stock pressure plate, then it has held up pretty well concidering a few passes down the 1/4 mile with slicks and numerous 600+ hp pulls on the dyno.

Any info would be greatly apprecaited!
Dave

BTW anyone have a McLeod brand aluminum flywheel? I know they make domestic flywheels, but never knew thay had one for a 7m.

·
SP74HO
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lunchtime said:
its a mccloud iron disk clutch
I will check into that. I have no reciept on the clutch, but have one from McCloud for the flywheel.

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
Looks like the standard RPS pressure plate, not the max one.

·
Registered
899 Posts
This is the RPS MAX pressure plate. Note the extra half spring fingers. They use OEM toyota / AISIN outer core so it will say that and they only place a RPS sticker on the outer edge of the PP housing. They typically paint them blue.

Yours looks like the street PP with a weird disc

·
SP74HO
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone have a pic of a stock OEM clutch pressure plate

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
lunchtime said:
its a mccloud iron disk clutch

This guy is absolutley correct.

I remember when the previous owner was talking about running this piece.

The pressure plate is an RPS unit. You can't tell the difference between it and the 2600 RPS plate aside from the color of the casting. I pretty sure the stock units are bare metal.

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
60-1 Teg said:
the clutch is a sprung iron disk, does rps make one?

Nope.. McLeod makes one.. apparently. Its a custom piece. You'll have to call them. You'll also likel have to spec out the hub as far as splines and input shaft diameter.

·
SP74HO
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read some something once on the SOGI site that Eric E. used a RPS disc with stock OEM pressure plate.

I guess i read it wrong, or he changed it. All i can say is it has held up quite well!

Since i am on my second rebuild and a quest for 1K RWHP, i thought i would freshen up the clutch aswell.

Thanks for the input guys!

Dave Z

·
Registered
899 Posts
I could get a pic of a stock PP but is it really worth my effort? it looks the exact same as your pic just bare metal

·
SP74HO
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like i need to call both RPS and McLeod tomorrow.
The flywheel need a new steel insert, and i need a new disc.

·
SP74HO
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
boltz said:
I could get a pic of a stock PP but is it really worth my effort? it looks the exact same as your pic just bare metal

No need! all i really needed to know if the stock one was painted blue, or is that propritery to RPS.

Thanks though.

Dave

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
FYI, RPS will not rebuild that unit as all they sell now are the dual diaphragm disc. I tried to get them rebuild my old RPS 2600lb unit about 3 months back.

If you want the same pedal pressure, try out HPF. They still list the old RPS 2600lb plate. Not sure if they can get it, but it's listed. Maybe they have a handfull of them. If they are out, try out clutchnet.com. Their race disc for $359 is the same unit. I've had both the 2600lb RPS and the CN "race only" plate and its the same pressure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts