Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Tried to break and map my Supra today after going MT5 --> V160!

That did not end with good result...

Anyway, here`s the case....

In all gears and reverse with some RPM we hear this crasy/squeeking/scratching sound from the tranny/clutch area... We first tought it was the tranny but after trying another tranny which we KNOW FOR SURE is ok but the same freakin sound appears...

Can the clutch be malfunction? Not balanced or anything? I got a single SPEC clutch rated 800 RWHP + and 800 ftlb... everything was torqued up correctly!

I got the RPS CYN R G flywheel. Everything is brand new!

We will try another clutch sunday but maybe some of you out there had these problems before?

Is there a conflict with the RPS flywheel together with the SPEC clutch?

All inputs are appreciated because im extremely frustrated at the moment...

Fred

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

No sprung at all on the clutch plate... no!

Here`s the items:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

One thing that came up....

Do the Center support of the TT driveshaft and the AUTO look the same? I bought a rear AUTO drive shaft from a guy in the US but it looks weird... and it doesn`t fit properly...

I believe the front and the rear shaft should go in a straight line from the tranny to the diff, and not be "bent" at the center support area? I got a N/A -T and bought a TT front and a AUTO rear combo, but the center support do not look like the TT one and I can`t get it all the way up in the tunnel, so It don`t go in a straight line....

Can this be the reason for the noise? Because if I detatch the shaft the noise dissapear but with the shaft it`s there! But the noise is not by the shaft area, it`s around the clutch housing area... just weird..

Fred

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Today we tried another clutch and another flywheel and the same nois appear, so then I know for sure it`s not my clutch/flywheel and tranny that is the problem, so it has to be something else....

I beleieve it`s the driveshaft that makes the noise... here`s some pics of the TT/AUTO combo and to be honest I don`t believe the AUTO rear shaft looks like this.... Can anyone chime in on this?

Because this way the combo ain`t a straight line, since it can`t be installed further up in the tunnel.... It is "bent" this way and I believe there is some unbalance going on...

Fred

·
Boost Junkie
12,399 Posts
I've done the swap although this was from an auto to a 6-speed. You need the 6-speed driveshaft and I also believe you need the 6-speed rear end (unless the 5-speed is the same as the auto, then you can use an auto drive shaft, but not the combo auto/6-speed).

Steve K.

·
Registered
282 Posts
There is some size differences with the Auto Rear end and the 6 speed rear end. As others have posted in some previous swaps going with the 6 speed tranny you either have to get a custom drive shaft to go with the auto rear end or typically swap out all of it.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi

I have a N/A-T and that`s why I go TT 6 speed front and TT AUTO rear combo.... That`s the only route possible since my rear end is different from the TT.

Fred

·
Boost Junkie
12,399 Posts
I have a N/A-T and that`s why I go TT 6 speed front and TT AUTO rear combo.... That`s the only route possible since my rear end is different from the TT.

Fred
That 5-speed diff isn't going to last long so I'd just bite the bullet and get a 6-speed rear end and axle before you break it.

Steve

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi

Yes I will, but not right now, now I need to get rid of this freakin noise!!

·
MVP Motorsports
2,853 Posts
1st off whenever upgrading your clutch/flywheel setup with the V160 it is necessary to purchase a sprung disk as the OEM flywheel is dampened and all aftermarket options are solid. I would try using a sprung disk instead of the solid to see if that changes anything.

Regards,
Robert

EDIT: Just checked pics above, I would imagine the driveshaft being "bent" would most likely be the culprit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts